Sanja Dacic, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Dacic is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology and Director of the FISH and Developmental Laboratory.
Rm. PUH C608
200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-8694
- MD - University of Zagreb, Croatia, 1990
- PhD - University of Zagreb, Croatia, 1998
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Dacic is a thoracic surgical pathologist and Director of the FISH and Developmental Laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Her diagnostic expertise includes neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases of the lung, and mediastinum and lung transplantation. FISH and Developmental Laboratory offers a large spectrum of FISH and ISH diagnostic and prognostic tests developed under her direct supervision and guideline.
Research ExpertiseDr. Dacic's primary research interests relate to molecular profiling of lung carcinoma and mesotheliomas and detection of biomarkers that have potential to be used clinically for diagnosis, prognostication and treatment of lung carcinoma and mesotheliomas. These interests resulted in numerous invited lectureships and courses in national and international societies and forums. She is a member of the pathology committee for the International Association for Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) and a member of International Mesothelioma Panel. Dr. Dacic Serves as a Deputy Chief Editor of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Dr. Dacic is a recipient of Arthur Purdy Stout Prize in 2011 for her research contributions that have had a major impact on diagnostic pathology.
Honors and Awards
2011 Arthur Purdy Stout Society Young Investigator Award
NIH ResearchView Dr. Dacic's NIH RePORT on nih.gov
Recent PublicationsView Dr. Dacic's publications on PubMed
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network. Comprehensive molecular profiling of lung adenocarcinoma. Nature. 2014 Jul 31;511(7511):543-50. PMID: 25079552.
- Bastaki JM , Purgina BM, Dacic S, Seethala RR. Secretory myoepithelial carcinoma: a histologic and molecular survey and a proposed nomenclature for mucin producing signet ring tumors. Head Neck Pathol. 2014 Sep;8(3):250-60. PMID: PMID: 24446021
- Thunnissen E, Noguchi M, Aisner S, Beasley MB, Brambilla E, Chirieac LR, Chung JH, Dacic S, Geisinger KR, Hirsch FR, Ishikawa Y, Kerr KM, Lantejoul S, Matsuno Y, Minami Y, Moreira AL, Pelosi G, Petersen I, Roggli V, Travis WD, Wistuba I, Yatabe Y, Dziadziuszko R, Witte B, Tsao MS, Nicholson AG.Reproducibility of Histopathological Diagnosis in Poorly Differentiated NSCLC: An International Multiobserver Study. J Thorac Oncol. 2014 Sep;9(9):1354-62. PMID: 25122431.
- Schneider F, Smith MA, Lane MC, Pantanowitz L, Dacic S, Ohori NP. Adequacy of core needle biopsies and fine needle aspirates for molecular testing of lung adenocarcinomas. Am J Clin Path 2015 Feb;143(2):193-200. PMID: 25596245
- Rodriguez E, Dacic S, Pantanowitz L, Khalbuss W, Monaco S. Cytopathology of pulmonary adenocarcinoma with a single histological pattern using the proposed International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer/American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society (IASLC/ATS/ERS) classification. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 May;123(5):306-17. PMID: 25788465.
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer/American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society (IASLC/ATS/ERS) Classification 2015 Mar 18 doi: 10.1002/cncy.21532. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25788465.
- Trejo-Bittar H, Incharoen P, Althouse AD, Dacic S. Accuracy of the IASLC/ATS/ERS histological subtyping of stage I lung adenocarcinoma on intraoperative frozen sections. Mod Pathol 2015 May 29. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2015.71. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26022456.