Chengquan Zhao, MD
Dr. Zhao is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology. He is Co-Director of Cytopathology and Director of Fine Needle Aspiration at Magee-Womens Hospital, and Chief of Pathology, UPMC-China Enterprise.
Professor of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-6678
- MD - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1983
- MS - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1988
- Postdoctoral - Hebrew University School of Medicine, 1993
- Postdoctoral - University of California, Los Angeles, 1997
- Cytopathology Fellow - University of Southern California, 2006
- Gynecologic/Breast Surgical Fellow - Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 2005
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Zhao has had subspecialty training in gynecological/breast surgical pathology at AFIP and Cytopathology at the University of Southern California. His main clinical diagnostic services are focused on gynecologic and breast surgical pathology, gynecologic cytology, non-gynecologic cytology, and fine needle aspiration cytology at Magee-Womens Hospital.
Research InterestsDr. Zhao has concentrated his research in the following areas of gynecologic and breast pathology:
- Pathogenesis study of ovarian carcinoma
- Nano-architecture based biomarkers for cervical cancer screening
- Novel nanoscale single-cell analysis of exfoliative cytology
- Pap smear study: human papillomavirus DNA detection in women with Pap test without TZ
- Follow-up study for women with hrHPV DNA positive ASC-US, ASC-H, HSIL, and atypical glandular cell Pap test result
- HPV DNA detection in women with negative Pap test result
- The Pap results for women with histologic diagnosis of invasive or in situ cervical adenocarcinoma
- How accurate indication of malignancy for Pap smears diagnosed as malignant or suspicious for malignant
- ECFMG - January 1998
- American Board of Pathology, combined AP/CP - August 2005
- American Board of Pathology, Cytopathology - September 2006
SpecialitiesGynecological Pathology, Breast Pathology, and Cytopathology
Awards and Honors
- Young Scientific Leader Trained by the Education Committee of Shandong Provinces - 1990
- Outstanding Scientific Research Award, Qingdao Medical College - 1991
- Golda Meir Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, Hebrew University - 1992-1993
- United States Patent, Clavaspirins, #5998374 - December 1999
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6010876 - January 2000
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6040293 - March 2000
- The award of Huaxia Education, Huaxia Pathology - March 2011
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Zhao's publications on PubMed
- Li Z, and Zhao C. Clinicopathological and immunohistochemical characterization of dedifferentiated endometrial carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. Accepted April 2015.
- Liang H, Griffith CC, Ma L, Ling B, Feng D, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding). The sensitivity of Pap cytology and HPV testing to detect cervical cancer: prior testing results in 178 patients with invasive cervical cancer at a large general hospital in China. JASC Accepted on May 2015.
- Zheng B, Griffith CC, Yan S, Chen C, Ding X, Yang H, Zhao C (corresponding). Prior high risk HPV testing and Pap test results of 427 invasive cervical cancers in China’s largest CAP certified laboratory. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 May 8, [ Epub ahead of print]
- Tao X, Griffith CC, Zhou X, Wang Z, Yan Y, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding). History of high risk HPV and Pap test results in a large cohort of patients with invasive cervical carcinoma: experience from the largest women’s hospital in China. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 May 8, [ Epub ahead of print]
- Ocque R, Zhao C. Negative Pap, positive hrHPV: what we know so far. CAP Today 2015 May:48-49.
- Woodard A, Austin MR, Li Z, Beere J, Zhao C (corresponding). Prevalence of HPV16/18 genotypes and histopathologic follow-up outcomes in women with negative cytology and positive high risk HPV test results. JASC 2015 March accepted.
- Liu S, Wang X, Shi Y, Han L, Zhao Z, Zhao C, Luo B. Toll-like receptor gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to Epstein-Barr virus-associated and -negative gastric carcinoma in Northern China. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2015;21(2):95-103.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Moriarty AT, Ghofrani M, Husain M, Tambouret RH, Laucirica R, Laser A, Fisher A, Ocal IT, Souers RJ, Russell DK, Fan F, Crothers BA. Human Papillomavirus testing and reporting rates in 2012: results of a College of American Pathologist's (CAP) national survey. Arch Path Lab Med. 2014 Dec 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barron S, Austin RM, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding): Follow-up outcomes in a large cohort of patients with HPV-negative LSIL cervical screening test results. Am J Clin Pathol 2015;143(4):485-491.
- Zheng B, Austin RM, Liang X, Li Z, Chen C, Yan S, Zhao C (corresponding). Positive predictive value (PPV) of a high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL) cervical cytology result in China’s largest College of American Pathologists (CAP) certified laboratory. JASC 2015(4):84-89.
- Yang H, Xue D, Tao X, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding). Human papilloma virus negative cervical cancer. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 2015;44(1):73-76.
- Tao X, Zhou X, Zhao C. The advance of ovarian clear cell carcinoma in immunohistochemistry and molecular pathogenesis. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. Accepted April 2015.
- Fadare O, Zhao C, Khabele D, Parkash V, Quick CM, Gwin K, Desouki MM. Comparative analysis of Mapsin A, alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme A racemase (AMACR, P504S), and hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 beta as diagnostic markers of ovarian clear cell carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study of 279 ovarian tumurs. Pathology 2015;47(2):105-111.
- Pantanowitz L, McHugh J, Cable W, Zhao C, Parwani AV. Imaging file management to support international telepathology. J Pathol Inform. 2015;6:17.
- Austin RM, Zhao C. Is 58% sensitivity for detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3 and invasive cervical cancer optimal for cervical screening? Cytojournal. 2014 May 22;11:14.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Zaibo Li, Nayar R, Levi AW, Winkler B, Moriarty AT et al. Prior high-risk HPV testing and Pap test results of 70 invasive cervical carcinomas diagnosed in 2012: results of a retrospective multi-center study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015;139(2):184-188.
- Stoler MH, Austin RM, Zhao C. Cervical cancer screening should be done by primary HPV testing with genotyping and reflex cytology for women over the age of 25 years. J Clinical Microbiology. 2015 May 6 [Epub ahead of print].
- Zhao C, Austin MR. The author's reply. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;142(2):279.
- Zheng B, Marshall Austin RM, Liang X, Li Z, Chen C, Yan S, Zhao C (corresponding). Bethesda System Reporting Rates for Conventional Pap Smears and Liquid-based Cytology in a Chinese Large College of American Pathologists Certified Independent Medical Laboratory: Analysis of 1,394,389 Pap Test Reports. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015;139(3):373-377.
- HPV primary screening. Austin RM, Zhao C. CAP Today. 2014:11:Marshall RM, Zhao C. Is 58% sensitivity for detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3 and invasive cervical cancer optimal for cervical screening? Cytojournal. 2014, 11:14.
- Barron S, Li Z, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion/cannot exclude high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL-H) is a unique category of cytologic abnormality associated with distinctive HPV and histopathologic CIN2+ detection rates. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;141(2):239-246.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Hong W, Li Z, Weng B, Amin M, Austin RM. Human papillomavirus testing and cytologic/histopathologic “test of cure” follow-up results after excisional treatment for high grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. J Am Soc Cytopath. 2014; 3(1):15-20
- Zhao C (corresponding). Yang H, Li Z. Evidence emerging for HPV-negative cervical cancer. CAP Today 2014;28(1):41-45
- Zhao C. 2014 PAPW: Online Education Activity, College of American Pathologists enduring internet CME Activity (February 17, 2014 to February 16, 2015)
- Desouki MM, Lioyd J, Xu H, Cao D, Barner R, Zhao C (corresponding). CDX2 may be a useful marker to distinguish primary ovarian carcinoid from gastrointestinal metastatic carcinoids to the ovary. Hum Pathol. 2013;44(11):2536-41.
- Darragh TM, Winkler B, Souers RJ, Laucirica R, Zhao C, Moriarty AT; College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Committee. Room for improvement: initial experience with anal cytology: observations from the College of American Pathologists interlaboratory comparison program in nongynecologic cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137(11): 1550-1554.
- Li Z, Fadare O, Hameed O, Zhao C, Desouki MM. Incidence atypical proliferative lesions in reduction mammoplasty specimens in patients with a history of breast cancer. Hum Pathol, 2014;45:104-109.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Li Z. Automated cell block system for atypical glandular cells of cervical cytology: Is it feasible? Cancer Cytopath 2014;122(1):5-7.
- Kuhn E, Ayhan A, Bahadirli-Talbott A, Zhao C, Shih I-M. Molecular characterization of undifferentiated carcinoma associated with endometrioid carcinoma. Am J Surg Path. 2014 Jan 21 [Epub ahead of print]
- Fasanella KE, Bista RK, Staton K, Rizvi S, Uttam S, Zhao C, Sepelveda A, Brand RE, McGrath K, Liu Y. Nuclear Nano-architecture Markers of Gastric Cardia and Upper Squamous Esophagus Detect Esophageal Cancer "Field Effect". J Cancer. 2013 Sep 10;4(8):626-34.
- Crothers BA, Booth CN, Darragh TM, Zhao C, Souers RJ, Thomas N, Moriarty AT. False-positive papanicolaou (PAP) test rates in the College of American Pathologists PAP Education and Pap proficiency test programs. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Accepted in July 2013.
- Zhao C (corresponding) Li Z, Austin RM. Cervical screening test results associated with 265 histopathologic diagnoses of cervical glandular neoplasia. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013;140(1):47-54.
- Auger M, Khalbuss WE, Nayar R, Zhao C, Wasserman P, Souers R, Thomas N, Moriarty Ann. Accuracy and false-positive rate of cytologic diagnosis of follicular cervicitis: observation from the College of American Pathologists Pap educational program. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137(7):907-911.
- Li Z, Barron S, Hong W, Karunamurthy A, Zhao C (corresponding). Surveillance for Recurrent Cancers and Vaginal Epithelial Lesions in Patients with Invasive Cervical Cancer after Hysterectomy: Are Vaginal Cytology and HrHPV testing Useful. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013;140:708-714.
- Cohen D, Austin RM, Gilbert C, Freij R, Zhao C (corresponding). Follow-up outcomes in a large cohort of patients with human papillomavirus-negative ASC-H cervical screening test results. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;138(4):517-523.
- Moriarty AT, Bentz JS, Winkler B, Fischer AH, Laucirica R, Souers R, Thomas N, Zhao C. Proficiency Testing of High Risk Human Papillomavirus DNA Tests: The first 3 years of experience of the College of Pathologists CHPV surveys. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137(5):606-609.
- Zhao C, Yang M. The introduction of the US new screening guideline for cervical carcinoma. Chin J Obstet Gynecol 2013;48(5).
- Gao FF, Bhargava R, Yang H, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding). A clinicopathological study of serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma and co-existing invasive carcinoma: Is the presence of STIC a reliable feature to determine organ of origin? Hum Pathol. 2013;44(8):1534-1543.
- Desouki MM, Li Z, Hameed O, Fadare O, Zhao C (corresponding). Incidental atypical proliferative lesions in reduction mammoplasty specimens: analysis of 2498 cases from 2 tertiary women’s health center. Hum Pathol. 2013;44(9):1877-1881.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Weng B, Li Z, Yang H, Austin RM. Follow-up outcomes of a large cohort of low-risk women with negative imaged liquid-based cytology and negative HPV test results. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013;139(1):32-38.
- Zhao C. 2013 PAPW: Online Education Activity, College of American Pathologists enduring internet CME Activity (February 16, 2013 to February 17, 2013)
- Li Z, Zhao C. (corresponding). Long-term follow-up results from women with cervical adenocarcinoma-in situ treated by conization: an experience from a large academic women’s hospital. JLGTD. 2013;17:452-458.
- Li Z, Jie, Zheng H, Zhao C. The clinical significance and treatment for women with endometrial cells in Pap tests. Chin J Pathol. 2013;42.
Books and Chapters
- Pathological Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis of Breast Lesions. Chief Editors: Huayie Ding, Xiangsheng Zhang, Hong Bu, Chengquan Zhao. People's Medical Publishing House, China. 2014.
- Diagnostic Cytopathology-Fine Needle Aspiration. Chief Editors: Chengquan Zhao, Liron Pantanowitz, Min Yang. Beijing Science and Technology Press, China, 2014.
- Gynecological Cytopathology: Brief text book. Chief Editors: Min Yang, Yaohua Cao, Chengquan Zhao, Beijing Science and Technology Press, China.
- 2014 Clear Cell Tumours Chapter. 2014 WHO Classification of Tumours of the Female Genital Organs. Gilks CB, Bell D, Huntsman D, Longacre T, Oliva E, Soslow R, Tsuda H, Zannonl GF, Zhao C, Zhou. 2014.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and cervical lesions. Zhao C. Yang H, Means M, Khalbuss WE. Gynecological and Breast cytopathology board review and self-assessment. Chief Editors: Khalbuss WE, Means M. Springer New York, 2013
- Gynecological Pathology, Chapter 28: Sex Cord-Stroma Tumor of Ovary. Liu A, Zhao C, Wang J, Zheng W. People's Medical Publishing House, China, 2014.