Sarangarajan Ranganathan, MD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Ranganathan is the Director of Anatomic Pathology, Division of Pediatric Pathology, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. He oversees the running of the AP lab at CHP and helps maintain quality in the Division. As a senior member of the Clinical Team he oversees the training of junior faculty and also helps in diagnosis of difficult pediatric lesions/diseases encountered in the division. He has served as faculty mentors for Pediatric Hematology Oncology and Pediatric Gastroenterology fellows. He is the Institutional Pathologist for Children’s Oncology Group (COG) studies and a consultant for pediatric liver tumors as part of the COG.
B260, Main Hospital
Department of Pathology
Children's Hospital of UPMC
4401 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15224
Office Telephone: 412-692-5650
- MBBS - 1985, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- MD - 1990, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- Pediatric Tumors: I have been involved in Children's Oncology group for several years and have been part of the Ewings sarcoma study as well as current hepatoblastoma reviewer for pathology. I am also the Institutional PI for Pathology for COG. As member of the COG, I am part of a panel of International Pediatric Liver tumor Classification and member of the COG Liver tumor Subcommittee. I also manage the weekly Tumor Board at CHP.
- Pediatric Liver and small bowel transplant pathology and pathology of post-transplant complications including posttransplant lymphoproliferative diseases and smooth muscle tumors.
- Pediatric GI diseases specifically inflammatory bowel disease (part of CHP IBD division), Intractable diarrheas of infancy and Hirschsprung's disease
- Pediatric medical renal diseases
- Pediatric infectious diseases
- Hepatoblastomas and other pediatric liver tumors: I have been involved in the study of pediatric liver tumors with emphasis on Wnt signaling pathway and application of immunohistochemical techniques to differentiate various pediatric liver tumors and subtypes of hepatoblastomas. Collaboration with Dr. SP Monga. Part COG funded (NIH)
- Participant of the current Children’s Oncology Group (COG) initiative to come up with a new International Pediatric Liver tumor Classification system and international therapeutic trial. Current COG reviewer on hepatoblastoma study AHEP0731. COG funded (NIH)
- Immunohistochemical study of non-neoplastic liver disease: I have been studying the Wnt signalling pathway as well as utility of glypican 3 as well as novel markers of regeneration in pediatric liver diseases.
- Pediatric small bowel and liver transplant: Cellular mechanisms of small bowel transplant rejection. Collaboration with Dr. R. Sindhi.
- Study of GI diseases in collaboration with GI Division, CHP including milk protein allergy, eosinophilic esophagitis, intractable diarrheas of infancy and inflammatory bowel disease.
- MBBS, Mumbai University, India
- MD Pathology, Mumbai University, India
- Diplomate of National Board, New Delhi D.N.B. Pathology
- American Board of Pathology, Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Pathology, Pediatric Pathology
SpecialtiesPediatric Pathology – Washington University School of Medicine/St. Louis Children’s Hospital/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Awards and Honors
- Children’s Oncology Group Young Investigator Award -2006 – Study of hepatoblastomas and Pediatric HCC
- McAdam’s Travel Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology, 2007.
- Society for Pediatric Pathology
- Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists
- Children's Oncology Group, Bone Sarcoma and Rare Tumors Committee
- Association of Indian Pathologists of North America
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Ranganathan's publications on PubMed
- Li H, Wolfe A, Septer S, Edwards G, Zhong X, Bashar Abdulkarim A, Ranganathan S, Apte U. Deregulation of Hippo kinase signalling in Human hepatic malignancies. Liver Int. 2012 Jan;32(1):38-47. PMID: 22098159
- Sindhi R, Ashokkumar C, Higgs BW, Gilbert PB, Sun Q, Ranganathan S, Jaffe R, Snyder S, Ningappa M, Soltys KA, Bond GJ, Mazariegos GV, Abu-Elmagd K, Zeevi A. Allospecific CD154+ T-cytotoxic memory cells as potential surrogate for rejection risk in pediatric intestine transplantation. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 Feb;16(1): 83-91. PMID: 22122074.
- Kadayakkara DK, Ranganathan S, Young WB, Ahrens ET. Assaying macrophage activity in a murine model of inflammatory bowel disease using fluorine-19 MRI. Lab Invest. 2012 Apr;92(4):636-45 doi:10.1038/labinvest.2012.7. PMID: 22330343
- Beatty P, Ranganathan S, Finn OJ. Prevention of colitis-associated colon cancer using a vaccine to target abnormal expression of the MUC1 tumor antigen. Oncoimmunology. 2012 May 1;1(3):263-70. PMID: 22737601
- Sathe PA, Shah HU, Kothari KS, Ranganathan S, Kandalkar BM. Bilateral EBV-associated adrenal leiomyomas in a child without an established immunodeficiency. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2012 Jul-Aug;15(4):329-32 PubMed PMID: 22483165.
- Lade A, Ranganathan S, Luo J, Monga SP. Calpain induces N-terminal truncation of β-catenin in normal murine liver development: diagnostic implications in hepatoblastomas. J Biol Chem. 2012 Jun 29;287(27):22789-98. PMID: 22613727.
- Ranganathan S, Zeevi A, Ozolek J, Venkat V, Soltys K, Mazariegos G, Sindhi R. Autoimmunity, alloimmunity, and chronic liver allograft injury. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 Aug;16(5):402-3. PMID: 22694260.
- Felgenhauer JL, Nieder ML, Krailo MD, Bernstein ML, Henry DW, Malkin D, Baruchel S, Chuba PJ, Sailer SL, Brown K, Ranganathan S, Marina N. A pilot study of low-dose anti-angiogenic chemotherapy in combination with standard multiagent chemotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed metastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: A Children's Oncology Group (COG) phase II study NCT00061893. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Mar;60(3): 409-14. PMID: 23065953.
- Ningappa M, Ashokkumar C, Ranganathan S, Schmitt L, Higgs BW, Sun Q, Branca M, Mazariegos G, Zeevi A, Abu-Elmagd K, Squires R, Rudolph J, Alissa F, Hakonarson H, Sindhi R. Mucosal Plasma Cell Barrier Disruption During Intestine Transplant Rejection. Transplantation. 2012 Dec 27;94(12):1236-42. PMID: 23269450.
- Cruz RJ Jr, Ranganathan S, Mazariegos G, Soltys K, Nayyar N, Sun Q, Bond G, Shaw PH, Haberman K, Krishnamurti L, Marsh JW, Humar A, Sindhi R. Analysis of national and single-center incidence and survival after liver transplantation for hepatoblastoma: New trends and future opportunities. Surgery. 2013 Feb;153(2):150-9. PMID: 23331862.
- Zhou S, Ranganathan S, Venkatramani R, Gomulia E, Wang L. Teratoid Hepatoblastoma with Abundant Cholangioblastic Component in a Child with Full Trisomy 13: a Rare Case Report. Pediatr Dev Pathol.2013 16(6):438-41 PMID: 23927400.
- López-Terrada D, Alaggio R, de Dávila MT, Czauderna P, Hiyama E, Katzenstein H, Leuschner I, Malogolowkin M, Meyers R, Ranganathan S, Tanaka Y, Tomlinson G, Fabrč M, Zimmermann A, Finegold MJ. Towards an international pediatric liver tumor consensus classification: proceedings of the Los Angeles COG liver tumors symposium. Mod Pathol. 2014 Mar;27(3):472-91 PMID: 24008558.
- Singhi AD, Goyal A, Davison JM, Regueiro MD, Roche RL, Ranganathan S. Pediatric autoimmune enteropathy: an entity frequently associated with immunodeficiency disorders. Mod Pathol. 2014 Apr;27(4):543-53. PMID: 24051695
- Ranganathan S, Schmitt LA, Sindhi R. Tufting enteropathy revisited: the utility of MOC31 (EpCAM) immunohistochemistry in diagnosis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Feb;38(2):265-72. PubMed PMID: 24418860
- Venkat VL, Ranganathan S, Mazariegos GV, Sun Q, Sindhi R. Recurrence of primary sclerosing cholangitis in pediatric liver transplant recipients. Liver Transpl. 2014 Feb 24. doi: 10.1002/lt.23868. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24634351
- Trejo-Bittar HE, Radder JE, Ranganathan S, Srinivasan A, Madan-Khetarpal S, Reyes-Múgica M. Clear Cell Sarcoma of the Kidney in a Child with Fanconi Anemia. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2014 Apr 15. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24735155.
- Tao J, Calvisi DF, Ranganathan S, Cigliano A, Zhou L, Singh S, Jiang L, Fan B, Terracciano L, Armeanu-Ebinger S, Ribback S, Dombrowski F, Evert M, Chen X, Monga SP. Activation of β Catenin and Yap1 in Human Hepatoblastoma and Induction of Hepatocarcinogenesis in Mice. Gastroenterology. 2014 Sept; 147(3):690-701 doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2014.05.004. Epub 2014 May 14. PubMed PMID: 24837480. (co first author)
- Ng VL, Haber BH, Magee JC, et al; Childhood Liver Disease Research and Education Network (CHiLDREN). Medical status of 219 children with biliary atresia surviving long-term with their native livers: results from a North American multicenter consortium. J Pediatr. 2014 Sep;165(3):539-546.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2014.05.038. Epub 2014 Jul 9. Erratum in: J Pediatr. 2015 Jan;166(1):211. PubMed PMID: 25015575; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4144331.
- Regueiro MD, Greer JB, Binion DG, et al; IBD LIVE Physician Group. The inflammatory bowel disease live interinstitutional and interdisciplinary videoconference education (IBD LIVE) series. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014 Oct;20(10):1687-95. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0000000000000187. PubMed PMID: 25167213.
- Ranganathan S, Ashokkumar C, Ningappa M, Schmitt L, Higgs BW, Sindhi R. The Transcription Factor, T-bet, Primes Intestine Transplantation Rejection and Is Associated With Disrupted Mucosal Homeostasis. Transplantation. 2015 Apr;99(4):890-4. PMID: 25340608.
- Courtney R, Ranganathan S. Simultaneous Adrenocortical Carcinoma and Neuroblastoma in an Infant With a Novel Germline p53 Mutation. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2014 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25374282.
- Fan Y, Fang X, Tajima A, Geng X, Ranganathan S, Dong H, Trucco M, Sperling MA. Evolution of hepatic steatosis to fibrosis and adenoma formation in liver-specific growth hormone receptor knockout mice. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014 Dec 18;5:218. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2014.00218. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 25566190.
- McFadden K, Ranganathan S. Pathology of the gallbladder in a child with metachromatic leukodystrophy. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2015 May-Jun;18(3):228-30. PMID: 25569213.
- Venkat VL, Ranganathan S, Sindhi R. The challenges of liver transplantation in children with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Mar;9(3):289-94. PMID: 25592492
- Ningappa M, Min J, Higgs BW, Ashokkumar C, Ranganathan S, Sindhi R. Genome-wide association studies in biliary atresia. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 2015 May 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25963027.
- Harmon CM, Azzuqa AA, Ranganathan S, Mahmood B, Good M. Mid-Aortic Syndrome in a Preterm Infant: A Rare Cause of Hypertension. J Pediatr. 2015 May 30. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26037732.
- Ranganathan S. Hepatoblastomas. In Liver Pathology - Consultant Pathology Series. Editors. Kakar S, Ferrell L. Demos Medical Publishing, NY. 2011.
- White FV, Ranganathan S. Pathology of Small Bowel transplantation. In Ed. Liapis, et al. Pathology of Solid Organ Transplantation. Springer 2011.
- Ranganathan S. Small Bowel Transplant Pathology. In Transplant Pathology. Co-editor. Amyrsis Diagnostic Pathology Series. November 2013.
- Ranganathan S. Pediatric Small Bowel and Liver transplantation Pathology in “Pathology of Pediatric Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases”. 2nd ed. Springer Ed Russo P. et al. Sept 2014
- Ranganathan S. “Congenital Tumors” In “Pediatry Autopsy Manual” Ed. Cohen and Scheimberg Cambridge University Press. Sept 2014.