Sarangarajan Ranganathan, MD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Ranganathan is the Director of Anatomic Pathology, Division of Pediatric Pathology.
B260, Main Hospital
Department of Pathology
Children's Hospital of UPMC
4401 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15224
Office Telephone: 412-692-5650
- MBBS - 1985, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- MD - 1990, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- Pediatric Tumors: I have been involved in Children's Oncology group for several years and have been part of the Ewings sarcoma study as well as current hepatoblastoma reviewer for pathology. I am also the Institutional PI for Pathology for COG. I am part of a panel of International Pediatric Liver tumor Classification and member of the COG Liver tumor Subcommittee.
- Pediatric Liver and small bowel transplant pathology and pathology of post-transplant complications including posttransplant lymphoproliferative diseases and smooth muscle tumors.
- Pediatric GI diseases specifically inflammatory bowel disease (part of CHP IBD division), intractable diarrheas of infancy and Hirschsprung's disease
- Pediatric medical renal diseases
- Pediatric infectious diseases
- Hepatoblastomas and other pediatric liver tumors: I have been involved in the study of pediatric liver tumors with emphasis on Wnt signaling pathway and application of immunohistochemical techniques to differentiate various pediatric liver tumors and subtypes of hepatoblastomas. Collaboration with Dr. SP Monga. Part COG funded (NIH)
- Participant of the current Children’s Oncology Group (COG) initiative to come up with a new International Pediatric Liver tumor Classification system and international therapeutic trial. Current COG reviewer on hepatoblastoma study.
- Immunohistochemical study of non-neoplastic liver disease: I have been studying the Wnt signalling pathway as well as utility of glypican 3 in pediatric liver diseases. Collaboration with Dr. Monga
- Inflammatory bowel disease: Co-investigator with Dr. O. Finn on MUC1 in inflammatory bowel disease grant. Also collaborated with CMU and Dr. Finn’s lab to study MRI diagnosis of IBD in rat models. Part of CHP IBD Board and University-wide IBD Research group
- Pediatric small bowel transplant: Cellular mechanisms of small bowel transplant rejection. Collaboration with Dr. R. Sindhi.
- Pediatric tumors including germ cell tumors, Wilms tumors, Ewings sarcoma and soft tissue tumors. Application of immunohistochemical markers. Also involved in past in COG Ewings trials.
- Posttransplant tumors including Hodgkin's-like PTLD and Hodgkin's lymphoma and smooth muscle tumors.
- Study of GI diseases in collaboration with GI Division, CHP including milk protein allergy, eosinophilic esophagitis, intractable diarrheas of infancy and Hirschsprung’s disease.
- MBBS, Mumbai University, India
- MD Pathology, Mumbai University, India
- Diplomate of National Board, New Delhi D.N.B. Pathology
- American Board of Pathology, Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Pathology, Pediatric Pathology
SpecialtiesPediatric Pathology – Washington University School of Medicine/St. Louis Children’s Hospital/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Awards and Honors
- Children’s Oncology Group Young Investigator Award -2006 – Study of hepatoblastomas and Pediatric HCC
- McAdam’s Travel Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology, 2007.
- Society for Pediatric Pathology
- Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists
- Children's Oncology Group, Bone Sarcoma and Rare Tumors Committee
- Association of Indian Pathologists of North America
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Ranganathan's publications on PubMed
- Lade A, Ranganathan S, Luo J, Monga SP. Calpain induces N-terminal truncation of β-catenin in normal murine liver development: Diagnostic implications in hepatoblastomas. J Biol Chem. 2012 May 21. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22613727.
- Sathe PA, Shah HU, Kothari KS, Ranganathan S, Kandalkar BM. Bilateral EBV-associated adrenal leiomyomas in a child without an established immunodeficiency. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2012 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22483165.
- Kadayakkara DK, Ranganathan S, Young WB, Ahrens ET. Assaying macrophage activity in a murine model of inflammatory bowel disease using fluorine-19 MRI. Lab Invest. 2012 Feb 13. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2012.7. (Epub ahead of print)
- Beatty P, Ranganathan S, Finn OJ. Prevention of colitis-associated colon cancer using a vaccine to target abnormal expression of the MUC1 tumor antigen. Oncoimmunology. 2012: 1(3) May/June, 1-8.
- Sindhi R, Ashokkumar C, Higgs BW, Gilbert PB, Sun Q, Ranganathan S, Jaffe R, Snyder S, Ningappa M, Soltys KA, Bond GJ, Mazariegos GV, Abu-Elmagd K, Zeevi A. Allospecific CD154+ T-cytotoxic memory cells as potential surrogate for rejection risk in pediatric intestine transplantation. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 Feb;16(1):83-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3046.2011.01617.x. PMID: 22122074.
- Li H, Wolfe A, Septer S, Edwards G, Zhong X, Abdulkarim AB, Ranganathan S, Apte U. Deregulation of Hippo kinase signalling in human hepatic malignancies. Liver Int. 2012 Jan;32(1):38-47. doi: 10.1111/j.1478-3231.2011.02646.x. PMID: 22098159.
- Girnita DM, Ohmann EL, Brooks MM, Webber SA, Burckart GJ, Ferrell RE, Ranganathan S, Chinnock R, Canter C, Addonizio L, Bernstein D, Kirklin JK, Naftel DC, Zeevi A. Gene polymorphisms impact the risk of rejection with hemodynamic compromise: a multicenter study. Transplantation. 2011 Jun 27;91(12):1326-32. PMID: 21659963.
- Ashokkumar C, Ningappa M, Ranganathan S, Higgs BW, Sun Q, Schmitt L, Snyder S, Dobberstein J, Branca M, Jaffe R, Zeevi A, Squires R, Alissa F, Shneider B, Soltys K, Bond G, Abu-Elmagd K, Humar A, Mazariegos G, Hakonarson H, Sindhi R. Increased Expression of Peripheral Blood Leukocyte Genes Implicate CD14(+) Tissue Macrophages in Cellular Intestine Allograft Rejection. Am J Pathol. 2011 Aug 17. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21854741.
- Vaideeswar P, Bavdekar SB, Biswas P, Sarangarajan R, Bhosale A. Viral ventilator-associated pneumonia: uncovering tip of the iceberg. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2011 Apr-Jun, 54(2):339-343.
- Sivagnanam M, Schaible T, Szigeti R, Byrd RH, Finegold MJ, Ranganathan S, Gopalakrishna GS, Tatevian N, Kellermayer R. Further evidence for EpCAM as the gene for congenital tufting enteropathy. Am J Med Genet A. 2010 Jan;152A(1):222-4.
- Nayyar N, Mazariegos G, Ranganathan S, Soltys K, Bond G, Jaffe R, Sun Q, Nucci A, Kosmach B, Squires R, Abu-Elmagd K, Sindhi R. Pediatric small bowel transplantation. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2010 Feb;19(1):68-77.
- Beatty PL, Narayanan S, Gariépy J, Ranganathan S, Finn OJ. Vaccine against MUC1 Antigen Expressed in Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Cancer Lessens Colonic Inflammation and Prevents Progression to Colitis-Associated Colon Cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). 2010 APR, 3(4): 438-46. Epub 2010, MAR 23. PMID: 20332301.
- Furr A, Ranganathan S, Finn OJ. Aberrant Expression of MUC1 in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2010 Jan 13(1):24-31. PMID: 19025220.
- Luo JH, Ren B, Keryanov S, Tseng GC, Rao UNM, Monga SP, Strom S, Demetris AJ, Nalesnik M, Yu YP, Ranganathan S, Michalopoulos GK. Transcriptomic and Genomic analysis of hepatocellular carcinomas and hepatoblastomas. Hepatology 2006; 44: 1012-1024.
- Ranganathan S, Tan X, Monga SP. Beta-catenin and Met deregulation in childhood hepatoblastomas. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2005; 8(4): 435-447.
- Ranganathan S, Webber S, Ahuja S, Jaffe R. Hodgkin’s-like posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorder in children: Does it differ from posttransplant Hodgkin’s lymphoma? Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2004; 7 (4): 348-360
- Sarangarajan R, Hill DA, Humphrey PA, Hitchcock MG, Dehner LP, Pfeifer JD. Primitive neuroectodermal tumors of the biliary and gastrointestinal tracts: clinicopathologic and molecular diagnostic study of two cases. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2001; 4: 185-191.
- Sarangarajan R, Dehner LP. Cranial and extracranial fasciitis of childhood: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study. Hum Pathol. 1999; 30: 87-92.
- Sarangarajan R., Ranganathan A, Belmonte AH, Tchertkoff V. Strongyloides stercoralis infection in AIDS. A review. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 1997; 11:6, 407-414.
- Ranganathan S Pediatric renal neoplasms. In: Current Concepts in Genitourinary Pathology: Kidney and Testes Guest Ed; Parwani AV. Surgical Pathology Clinics, 2009; 2(1):27-60
- Husain A, Chang A Ranganathan S. Diagnosis in Pediatric Transplant Biopsies. Surg Pathol Clinics 2010; 3(3): 797-866.
- Ranganathan S. Inherited hyperbilirubinemias. In Liver Pathology - Consultant Pathology Series. Ed. Kakar S, Ferrell L. Demos Medical Publishing, NY 2011.
- Ranganathan S. Hepatoblastomas. In Liver Pathology - Consultant Pathology Series. Editors. Kakar S, Ferrell L. Demos Medical Publishing, NY. 2011.
- White FV, Ranganathan S. Pathology of Small Bowel transplantation. In Ed. Liapis, et al. Pathology of Solid Organ Transplantation. Springer 2011.