Jon D. Piganelli, PhD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Dr. Piganelli is a member of the Cellular and Molecular Pathology Graduate Training Program.
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Rangos Research Center 6125
4401 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Office Telephone: 412-692-7498
Lab Telephone: 412-692-9184
- BS - Colorado State University, 1988
- PhD - Oregon State University, 1994
Research InterestsMy group has been involved in studying immunology and autoimmunity; more specifically type 1 diabetes (T1D). My work primarily focuses on the role of oxidative stress and free radical generation and how it leads to secondary inflammation, since the majority of pathological conditions have an inflammatory component. Also these redox reactions are critical for synergizing the innate and adaptive immune response, and exploitation of these reactions can modulate immune function. I have studied these interaction in both human islets isolated from cadaveric donors as well as in animal models of T1D like the NOD mouse. Our work has demonstrated that modulation of redox dependent signaling can have positive effects on controlling aberrant immune responses as well as the protection and preservation of organs and tissue for transplantation.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Piganelli's publications on PubMed
- Sklavos, M. M., Coudriet, G. M. Delmastro, M. M., Bertera, S. , Coneybeer, J.T. , He J., Trucco, M., Piganelli, J.D. Administration of a negative vaccination induces hypo-responsiveness to islet allografts. Accepted Cell Transplantation 2012.
- M. Delmastro MM, Styche AJ, Trucco, MM, Workman, CJ, Vignali, DAA and Piganelli, JD. Modulation of redox balance leaves murine diabetogenic TH1 T cells ‘LAG-3-ing' behind. Accepted Diabetes 2012.
- Barbara M. Schulte, Kjerstin H.W. Lanke, Jon D. Piganelli, Esther D. Kers-Rebel, Rita Bottino, Massimo Trucco, Richard J.F. Huijbens, Timothy R.D.J. Radstake, Marten.A. Engelse, Eelco J. P. de Koning , Jochem MD Galama, Gosse J. Adema and Frank J.M. van Kuppeveld. Cytokine and chemokine production by human pancreatic islets upon enterovirus infection. Accepted Diabetes 2012.
- Thayer TC, Delano M, Liu C, Chen J, Padgett LE, Tse HM, Annamali M, Piganelli JD, Moldawer LL, Mathews CE. Superoxide Production by Macrophages and T Cells Is Critical for the Induction of Autoreactivity and Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes. 2011 Aug;60(8):2144-51
- Delmastro MM, Piganelli JD. Oxidative stress and redox modulation potential in type 1 diabetes. Clin Dev Immunol. 2011;2011:593863. Epub 2011 May 18.
- Batinic-Haberle I, Spasojevic I, Tse HM, Tovmasyan A, Rajic Z, Clair DK, Vujaskovic Z, Dewhirst MW, Piganelli JD. Erratum to: Design of Mn porphyrins for treating oxidative stress injuries and their redox-based regulation of cellular transcriptional activities. Amino Acids. 2010 Dec 24. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Tse HM, Thayer TC, Steele C, Cuda CM, Morel L, Piganelli JD, Mathews CE. NADPH oxidase deficiency regulates Th lineage commitment and modulates autoimmunity. J Immunol. 2010 Nov 1;185(9):5247-58. Epub 2010 Sep 29.
- Batinic-Haberle I, Spasojevic I, Tse HM, Tovmasyan A, Rajic Z, St Clair DK, Vujaskovic Z, Dewhirst MW, Piganelli JD. Design of Mn porphyrins for treating oxidative stress injuries and their redox-based regulation of cellular transcriptional activities. Amino Acids. 2010 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sklavos MM, Bertera S, Tse HM, Bottino R, He J, Beilke JN, Coulombe MG, Gill RG, Crapo JD, Trucco M, Piganelli JD. Redox modulation protects islets from transplant-related injury. Diabetes. 2010 Jul;59(7):1731-8. Epub 2010 Apr 22.
- Stadinski BD, Delong T, Reisdorph N, Reisdorph R, Powell RL, Armstrong M, Piganelli JD, Barbour G, Bradley B, Crawford F, Marrack P, Mahata SK, Kappler JW, Haskins K. Chromogranin A is an autoantigen in type 1 diabetes. Nat Immunol. 2010 Mar;11(3):225-31. Epub 2010 Feb 7.
- Sklavos MM, Tse HM, Piganelli JD. Redox modulation inhibits CD8 T cell effector function. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Nov 15;45(10):1477-86. Epub 2008 Sep 9.
- Tse HM, Milton MJ, Schreiner S, Profozich JL, Trucco M, Piganelli JD. Disruption of innate-mediated proinflammatory cytokine and reactive oxygen species third signal leads to antigen-specific hyporesponsiveness. J Immunol. 2007 Jan 15;178(2):908-17.
- Bottino R, Balamurugan AN, Tse H, Thirunavukkarasu C, Ge X, Profozich J, Milton M, Ziegenfuss A, Trucco M, Piganelli JD. Response of human islets to isolation stress and the effect of antioxidant treatment. Diabetes. 2004 Oct;53(10):2559-68.
- Milton MJ, Poulin M, Mathews C, Piganelli JD. Generation, maintenance, and adoptive transfer of diabetogenic T-cell lines/clones from the nonobese diabetic mouse. Methods Mol Med. 2004;102:213-25.
- Tse HM, Milton MJ, Piganelli JD. Mechanistic analysis of the immunomodulatory effects of a catalytic antioxidant on antigen-presenting cells: implication for their use in targeting oxidation-reduction reactions in innate immunity. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004 Jan 15;36(2):233-47.