Jianhua Luo, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Luo is a member of the Divisions of Experimental Pathology, Molecular and Cellular Pathology and Anatomic Molecular Pathology. He is the Director of the High Throughput Genome Center at the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, involving collaboration of faculties from multiple departments.
A-725 Scaife Hall
3550 Terrace Street
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Office Telephone: 412-648-8791
Research InterestsDr. Luo's research is in the area of genome and gene expression study of maligancies, especially in understanding how prostate cancers obtain invasive and metastatic capability. Dr. Luo's laboratoy in the past has primarily focused on the isolation and characterization of genes whose expressions have been inactivated in prostate cancers. His laboratory has isolated and characterized several candidate genes that might be important for tumor invasion. Ongoing studies in his laboratory focus on defining the roles of these genes in regulating the signaling pathways in normal and cancerous cells. In addition, his laboratory is actively searching new candidate genes that are overexpressed, down-regulated, deleted, amplified, methylated, translocated or mutated in tumors, using Affymetrix Array and whole genome and RNA sequencing technologies. His group is exploring the possibility of using these genes as diagnostic or prognostic markers for prostate cancers.
On clinical molecular diagnostic front, Dr. Luo has recently initiated whole genome high throughput CNV analysis of lymphoproliferative diseases using Affymetrix array system, and works to provide this information in an accurate and concise manner to clinicians who involves in patient care and treatment. His group is now conducting a prospective analysis using whole genome CNV array to predict clinical outcomes of prostate cancer.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Luo's publications on PubMed
- Yan P. Yu, Chi Song, George Tseng, Baoguo Ren, William LaFramboise, George Michalopoulos, Joel Nelson and Jian-Hua Luo(2012). Genome abnormalities precede prostate cancer and predict clinical relapse. American Journal of Pathology, 180, 2240-8. [ Download Data ]
- Michael Nalesnik, George Tseng Ying Ding, Guo-Sheng Xiang, Zhong-liang Zheng, Yan Ping Yu, J. Wallis Marsh, George Michalopoulos and Jian-Hua Luo (2012). Gene Deletions and Amplifications in Human Hepatocellular Carcinomas: Correlation with Hepatocyte Growth Regulation. American Journal of Pathology, in press.
- Yan-Ping Yu and Jian-Hua Luo. Phosphorylation and interaction of Myopodin by Integrin-Link Kinase Lead to Suppression of Cell Growth and Motility in Prostate Cancer Cells. Oncogene 30, 4855-63. PMCID: 3170684.
- Fafalios A, Ma J, Tan X, Stoops J, Luo J, DeFrances MC, Zarnegar R. (2011). Direct cross-talk between Hepatocyte Growth Factor Receptor (Met) and Insulin Receptor (IR) via Met-IR hybrid receptor: Implication in Hepatic Insulin Resistance and Glucose Metabolism. Nature Medicine 17, 1577-84.
- Ze-Hua Zhu, Yan P. Yu, Zhong-Liang Zheng, Yang Song, Guo-Sheng Xiang, Joel Nelson1, George Michalopoulos and Jian-Hua Luo (2010). Integrin alpha 7 interacts with HtrA2 to induce prostate cancer cell death. American Journal of Pathology 177, 1176-86.
- Yu-Chen Han, Yan P. Yu, Joel Nelson, Chuanyue Wu, Hui Wang, George K. Michalopoulos and Jian-Hua Luo (2010). Interaction of integrin linked kinase (ILK) and MCM7 mediating integrin α7 induced cell growth suppression. Cancer Research 70, 4375-4384.
- Ze-Hua Zhu, Yan P. Yu, Yi-Kang Shi, Joel B. Nelson, and Jian-Hua Luo (2009). CSR1 Inducing Cell Death through Inactivation of CPSF3. Oncogene 28:41-51.
- Yi-Kang Shi, Yan P. Yu, Ze-Hua Zhu, Yu-Chen Han, Baoguo Ren, Joel B. Nelson and Jian-Hua Luo (2008). MCM7 Interacting With Androgen Receptor. American Journal of Pathology, 173:1758-67.
- Baoguo Ren, Yan P. Yu, George C. Tseng, Chuanyue Wu, Ka Chen, Uma N. Rao, Joel Nelson, George K. Michalopoulos and Jian-Hua Luo (2007). Analysis of Integrin α7 Mutations in Prostate Cancer, Liver Cancer, Glioblastoma Multiforme, and Leiomyosarcoma. Journal of National Cancer Institute 99, 868-880.
- Yan Ping Yu, Douglas Landsittel, Ling Jing, Joel Nelson, Baoguo Ren, Lijun Liu, Courtney McDonald, Ryan Thomas, Rajiv Dhir, Sydney Finkelstein, George Michalopoulos, Michael Becich, and Jian-Hua Luo (2004). Gene Expression Alterations in Prostate Cancer Predicting Tumor Aggression and Preceding Development of Malignancy. Journal of Clinical Oncology 22, 2790-2799. [ Download Data ]