Jennifer R. Grandis, MD, FACS
UPMC Endowed Chair in Head and Neck Cancer Surgical Research
Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology and Pharmacology
Dr. Grandis is Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology and Pharmacology, Leader of the Head and Neck Cancer Program and Vice Chair for Research Rotations in the Department of Otolaryngology. Her research areas include precision medicine approaches, signal transduction, molecular targeted therapies and mechanisms of resistance to EGFR inhibitors in head and neck cancer. She has a history of successfully mentoring undergraduates, medical students, otolaryngology residents and fellows in her laboratory. Dr. Grandis serves as the PI of a T32 from NIDCD to train otolaryngologists for careers as physician scientists (now in its 11th year of funding) and she served as the PI of a long standing T32 from NCI focused on postdoctoral training head and neck oncology, including medical oncology fellows (recently transferred to a colleague). Dr. Grandis will provide training opportunities to trainees who develop an interest in translational head and neck oncology research. She is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the American Association of Physicians and she was elected to the Institute of Medicine of The National Academies in 2012. Dr. Grandis received the 2011 Provost's Award for Excellence in Mentoring in recognition of her commitment to training the next generation of investigators.
Eye & Ear Institute, Suite 500
203 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-5280
Lab Telephone: 412-383-5405
- BS - 1982, Swarthmore College
- MD - 1987, University of Pittsburgh
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Grandis' clinical practice is focused on diseases of the ears, nose and throat.
Research InterestsHead and neck cancer (HNC) is a devastating disease with few therapeutic options. Dr. Grandis' research focuses on identifying key therapeutic targets in HNC with the ultimate goal of implementing strategies to inhibit these targets in patients. Her laboratory was among the first to validate the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and Signal Transducers and Activators of Transcription (STATs) as therapeutic targets in HNC, thus paving the way for studies in other cancers. EGFR serves as a central integration point for coordination of a broad array of cellular signals. Her group demonstrated that G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) "transactivate" EGFR contributing to HNC progression. Each key basic science observation has been translated into clinical trials. They initially developed an antisense gene therapy approach targeting EGFR and completed a phase I study with an unexpectedly high clinical response rate (35%). A phase I/II trial in combination with cetuximab and radiation is planned. They completed a window of opportunity clinical study comparing the effects of an EGFR inhibitor, alone or in combination with a GPCR inhibitor, on biomarker expression profiles in HNC patients. They also developed a transcription factor decoy approach to block STAT3 and demonstrated antitumor efficacy in preclinical HNC models and recently completed a phase 0 clinical trial to test the safety and biologic effects of the STAT3 decoy in HNC patients.
CertificationsDEA State Board of Medicine/Pennsylvania
Diplomate, American Board of Otolaryngology - 1994
Awards and Honors
- 1982 Oak Leaf Award, Swarthmore College
- 1986 Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- 1987 Kenneth H. Hinderer Award in Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 1987 Leo H. Criep, Award in Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 1987 M.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2000 Honorable Mention Award for Basic Science, Triologic Thesis, Triological Society
- 2002 American Society for Clinical Investigation
- 2003 - 2006 Chair, NIH Study Section (Tumor Cell Biology)
- 2003 Co-Chair, NCI Workshop "Head and Neck Cancer: Issues, Barriers, Research & Therapeutic Opportunities"
- 2003 University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Scientific Leadership Award
- 2005 Endowed Chair in Head and Neck Cancer Surgical Research
- 2005, 2008 Biomedical Graduate Student Association Distinguished Mentor Finalist
- 2005 - 2008 Co-Director, AACR Course, "Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology"
- 2006 - 2007 Co-Chair, AACR Conference on "Advances and Challenges in Aerodigestive Epithelial Cancers: Genetics, Diagnosis & Therapy
- 2006 Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum (CORLAS)
- 2005 - 2014 Top Doctor, Pittsburgh Magazine
- 2007 - 2009 SPORE Directors Executive Committee
- 2008 - 2013 American Cancer Society Clinical Research Professorship
- 2009 Chancellor's Distinguished Research Award, University of Pittsburgh
- 2009 - 2010 Co-Chair, Eighth Workshop on the Biology, Prevention and Treatment of Head & Neck Cancer
- 2010 Association of American Physicians
- 2010 Philip Hench Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2010 - 2013 Member, Board of Directors, American Association for Cancer Research
- 2010 - Co-Chair, Head and Neck Disease Working Group, The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), NCI
- 2010 Co-Chair NCI Workshop, "The Molecular Bases of Radiation Resistance of Human Cancers"
- 2010 - 2011 Co-Chair, NCI Translational Science Meeting
- 2011 Provost's Award for Excellence in Mentoring, University of Pittsburgh
- 2012 Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2012 Alton Oschner Award Relating Smoking and Disease
- 2012 NIH Pittman Lecturer
- 2012 Institute of Medicine (IOM) of The National Academies
- 2012 - 2013 Member, Committee for the Review of the Health Effects in Vietnam Veterans of Exposure to Herbicides 9th Biennial Update, Institute of Medicine
- 2012 - 2014 Member, Board of Scientific Counselors (BSC), National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH
- 2014 - 2017 Chair, Board of Scientific Counselors (BSC), National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Grandis' publications on PubMed
- Vaezi A, Wang XZ, Buch S, Gooding W, Wang L, Seethala RR, Weaver DT, D'Andrea AD, Argiris A, Romkes M, Niedernhofer LJ, Grandis JR. XPF expression correlates with clinical outcome in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011 Aug 15; 17(16):5513-22. Epub 2011 Jul 7. PMC3156890.
- Stransky N, Egloff AM, Tward A, Kostic A, Cibulskis K, Sivachenko A, Kryukov G, Lawrence M, Sougnez C, McKenna A, Ramos AH, Stojanov P, Carter SL, Voet D, Cortes M, Auclair D, Saksena G, Guiducci C, Onofrio R, Parkin M, Romkes M, Weissfeld J, Seethala RR, Wang L, Winckler W, Ardlie K, Gabriel SB, Myerson M, Lander ES, Getz G, Golub TR, Garraway LA, Grandis JR. The mutational landscape of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Science. 2011 Aug 26; 333(6046):1157-60. Epub 2011 Jul 28. PMC3415217.
- Quesnelle KM, Grandis JR. Dual kinase inhibition of EGFR and HER2 overcomes resistance to cetuximab in a novel in vivo model of acquired cetuximab resistance. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011 Sep 15; 17(18): 5935-44. Epub 2011 Jul 26. PMC3426303.
- Zhao M, Sano D, Pickering CR, Jasser SA, Henderson YC, Clayman GL, Sturgis EM, Ow TJ, Lotan R, Carey TE, Sacks PG, Grandis JR, Sidransky D, Heldin N. Assembly And Initial Characterization Of A Panel Of 85 Genomically Validated Cell Lines From Diverse Head And Neck Tumor Sites. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011 Dec 1; 17(23): 7248-64. Epub 2011 Aug 25. PMC3229662.
- Glazer P, Grandis JR, Powell S, Brown M, Helleday T, Bristow R, Powis G, Hill RP, Le TQ, Pelroy R, Mohla S, Bernhard EJ. Radiation Resistance in Cancer Therapy: Meeting Summary and Research Opportunities: Report of an NCI Workshop held September 1-3, 2010. Radiation Research. 2011 Sep; 176(3): e0016-21. Epub 2011 Jul 8. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 21740251. PMC Journal-not applicable.
- Argiris A, Feinstein TM, Wang L, Yang T, Agrawal S, Appleman LJ, Stoller RG, Grandis JR, Egloff AM. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of dasatinib and cetuximab in patients with advanced solid malignancies. Investigational New Drugs. 2011 Sep 1. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3402509
- Zhong S, Nukui T, Buch S, Diergaarde B, Weissfeld LA, Grandis JR, Romkes M, Weissfeld JL. Effects of ERCC2 Lys751Gln (A35931C) and CCND1 (G870A) polymorphism on outcome of advanced-stage squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck are treatment dependent. Cancer, Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2011 Nov; 20(11): 2429-37. Epub 2011 Sep 2. PMC3210907.
- Argiris A, Lee SC, Feinstein T, Thomas S, Branstetter BF 4th, Seethala R, Wang L, Gooding W, Grandis JR, Ferris RL. Serum biomarkers as potential predictors of antitumor activity of cetuximab-containing therapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer. Oral Oncology, 2011 Oct; 47(10): 961-6. Epub 2011 Sep 1. PMC3402506.
- Park B, Chiosea S, Grandis JR. Molecular changes in the multistage pathogenesis of head and neck cancer. Cancer Biomarkers. 2011; 9(1-6): 325-39. PMC3409637.
- Dedhia RC, Grandis JR, Fontes PA, Johnson JT, Weissfeld J. Screening for head and neck cancer in liver transplant candidates: a review of 11 years of experience at the University of Pittsburgh. Laryngoscope. 2012 Mar; 122(3): 539-42. Epub 2011 Dec 19. PMC3391608.
- Egloff AM, Lui X, Gaither Davis AL, Trevelline BK, Vuga MM, Siegfried JM, Grandis JR. Elevated gastrin-releasing peptide receptor mRNA expression in buccal mucosa: association with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Neck. 2012 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3553276.
- Egloff AM, Davis AG, Shuai Y, Land S, Pilewski JM, Luketich JD, Landreneau R, Miller YE, Grandis JR, Siegfried JM. Gastrin-releasing peptide receptor expression in non-cancerous bronchial epithelia is associated with lung cancer: a case-control study. Respiratory Research. 2012 Feb 1;13:9. PMC3305653
- Klein JD, Christopoulos A, Ahn SM, Gooding WE, Grandis JR, Kim S. Antitumor effect of vandetanib through EGFR inhibition in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Neck. 2012 Sep; 34(9): 1269-76. Epub 2012 Feb 6. PMC3675227.
- Wheeler S, Siwak DR, Chai RL, Lavalle CR, Seethala RR, Wang L, Cieply KM, Sherer C, Joy C, Mills GB, Argiris A, Siegfried JM, Grandis JR, Egloff AM. Tumor epidermal growth factor receptor and EGFR PY1068 are independent prognostic indicators for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research. 2012 Apr 15;18(8):2278-89 [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3430124.
- Wheeler SE, Morariu E, Bednash J, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI, Grandis JR. Lyn kinase mediates cell motility and tumor growth in EGFRvIII-expressing head and neck cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 2012 May 15; 18(10): 2850-60. Epub 2012 Apr 6. PMC3433855.
- Bhola N, Freilino M, Joyce SC, Sen M, Thomas SM, Sahu A, Cassell A, Chen CS, Grandis JR. Anti-tumor mechanisms of targeting the PDK1 pathway in head and neck cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 2012 Jun; 11(6): 1236-46. Epub 2012 Apr 5. PMC3413198.
- Lui VWY, Grandis JR. Primary chemotherapy and radiation as a treatment strategy for HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer. Head and Neck Pathology, 2012. Epub 2012 Jul 3. PMC3394163.
- Duvvuri U, Shiwarski DJ, Xiao D, Bertrand C, Huang X, Edinger RS, Rock JR, Harfe BD, Henson BJ, Kunzelmann K, Schreiber R, Seethala RR, Egloff AM, Chen X, Lui VW, Grandis JR, Gollin SM. TMEM16A induces MAPK and contributes directly to tumorigenesis and cancer progression. Cancer Research. 2012 Jul 1; 72(13): 3270-81. Epub 2012 May 7. PMC3694774.
- Quesnelle KM, Wheeler SA, Ratay M, Grandis JR. Preclinical modeling of EGFR inhibitor resistance in head and neck cancer. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 2012 Aug; 13(10): 1-11. PMC3414414.
- Moskowitz H, Gooding WE, Thomas SM, Freilino ML, Argiris E, Gross N, Grandis JR, Ferris R. Serum biomarker modulation following molecular targeting of epidermal growth factor and cyclooxygenase pathways: a pilot randomized trial in head and neck cancer. Oral Oncology. 2012 Nov;48(11):1136-45. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3462892
- Sen M, Thomas SM, Kim, SW, Yeh JI, Ferris RL, Johnson JT, Duvvuri U, Lee JA, Sahu N, Joyce S, Freilino ML, Shi H, Li C, Ly D, Rapireddy S, Etter JP, Li PK, Wang L, Chiosea S, Seethala RR, Gooding WE, Chen X, Kaminski N, Pandit K, Johnson DE, Grandis JR. First-in-human trial of a STAT3 decoy oligonucleotide in head and neck tumors: implications for cancer therapy. Cancer Discovery. 2012 Aug; 2(8): 694-705. Epub 2012 Jun 20. PMC3668699.
- Argiris A, Kotsakis AP, Hoang T, Worden FP, Savvides P, Gibson MK, Gyanchandani R, Blumenschein GR, Chen HX, Grandis JR, Harrari PM, Kies MS, Kim S. Cetuximab and bevacizumab: preclinical data and phase II trial in recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Annals of Oncology. 2013 Jan; 24(1): 220-5. Epub 2012 Aug 16. PMC3525135.
- Egloff AM, Grandis JR. Molecular pathways: context-dependent approaches to notch targeting as cancer therapy. Clinical Cancer Research, 2012 Oct 1;18(19):5188-95 [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3463728
- Sen M, Joyce S, Panahandeh MC, Li C, Thomas SM, Maxwell J, Wang L, Gooding WE, Johnson DE, Grandis JR. Targeting STAT3 abrogates EGFR inhibitor resistance in cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 2012 Aug 13. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3445706.
- Zang Y, Thomas SM, Chan ET, Kirk CJ, Freilino ML, DeLancey HM, Grandis JR, Li C, Johnson DE. Carfilzomib and ONX 0912 inhibit cell survival and tumor growth of head and neck cancer and their activities are enhanced by suppression of Mcl-1 or autophagy. Clinical Cancer Research. 2012 Oct 15; 18(20): 5639-49. Epub 2012 Aug 28. PMC3473099
- Fung C, Chen X, Grandis JR, Duvvuri U. EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibition induces autophagy in cancer cells. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 2012 Sep 6; 13(14). Epub ahead of print. PMC3542232
- Zang Y, Thomas SM, Chan ET, Kirk CJ, Freilino M, DeLancey HM, Grandis JR, Li C, Johnson DE. The next generation proteasome inhibitors carfilzomib and oprozomib activate prosurvival autophagy via induction of the unfolded protein response and ATF4. Autophagy. 2012 Sep 20; 8(20). [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3541310 [Available on 2013/12/1].
- Cassell A, Freilino ML, Thomas, SM, Lee J, Barr S, Panahandeh MC, Grandis JR. Targeting TORC1/2 enhances sensitivity to EGFR inhibitors in head and neck cancer preclinical models. Neoplasia. 2012 Nov: 14(11): 1005-14. PMC3514742.
- Sen SM, Grandis JR. Nucleic acid-based approaches to STAT inhibition. JAK-STAT. 2012 Oct 1;1(4):285-291. PMC3670286.
- Mason NS, Lopresti BJ, Ruszliewicz J, Dong X, Joyce S, Leef G, Sen M, Wahed AS, Mathis CA, Grandis JR, Thomas M. Utility of 3'-[(18)F]fluoro-3'-deoxythymidine as a PET tracer to monitor response to gene therapy in a xenograft model of head and neck carcinoma. American Journals of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2013; 3(1): 16-31. Epub 2013 Jan 5. PMC3545366.
- Thomas SM, Sahu B, Rapireddy S, Bahal R, Wheeler SE, Procopio EM, Kim J, Joyce SJ, Contrucci S, Wang Y, Chiosea SI, Lathrap KL, Watkins S, Grandis JR, Armitage BA, Ly DH. Antitumor effects of EGFR antisense guanidine-based peptide nucleic acids in cancer models. ACS Chemical Biology. 2013 Feb 15;8(2):345-52. Epub 2012 Nov 9. PMC3684443.
- Stabile L, He G, Lui V, Thomas SM, Henry C, Gubish C, Joyce S, Quesnelle K, Siegfried J, Grandis JR. c-Src activation mediates erlotinib resistance in head and neck cancer by stimulating c-Met. Clinical Cancer Research. 2012 Dec 4. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3549019
- Shin DM, Zhang H, Saba N, Chen A, Nannapaneni S, Amin AR, Muller S, Lewis M, Sica G, Kono S, Brandes JC, Grist W, Moreno-Williams R, Beitler JJ, Thomas SM, Chen Z, Shin HJ, Grandis JR, Khuri FR, Chen ZG. Chemoprevention of head and neck cancer by simultaneous blocking of epidermal growth factor receptor and cyclooxygenase-2 signaling pathways: preclinical and clinical studies. Clinical Cancer Research. 2013 Mar 1; 19(5): 1244-56. Epub 2013 Feb 19. PMC3693760.
- Romick-Rosendale LE, Lui VW, Grandis JR, Wells SI. The fanconi anemia pathway: Repairing the link between DNA damaged and squamous cell carcinoma. Mutation Research. 2013 Mar-Apr;743-744:78-88. Epub 2013 Jan 17. PMC3661751.
- Troy JD, Weissfeld JL, Youk AO, Thomas SM, Wang L, Grandis JR. Expression of EGFR, VEGF, and NOTCH1 suggest differences in tumor angiogenesis in HPV-positive and HPV-negative head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Neck Pathology. 2013 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC3824798.
- Troy JD, Weissfeld JL, Diergaarde B, Youk AO, Buch SC, Romkes M, Grandis JR. Polymorphisms in NAT2 and GSTP1 are associated with survival in oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Cancer Epidemiology. Cancer Epidemiol. 2013 Aug;37(4):505-11 [Epub ahead of print] 03-21-13. PMC3690299.
- Pendleton K, Grandis JR. Cisplatin-Based Chemotherapy Options for Recurrent and/or Metastatic Squamous Cell Cancer of the Head and Neck. Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics. 2013:5 103-116. PMC3835153.
- Toll BA, Brandon TH, Gritz ER, Warren GW, Herbst RS, Aberle D, Bunn PA Jr, Fong GT, Grandis JR, Hatsukami DK, Hong WK, Leischow SJ, Shields PG, Viswanath KV, Warren G, Land SR. Assessing tobacco use by cancer patients and facilitating cessation: an American Association for Cancer Research policy statement. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Apr 15;19(8):1941-8. PMID: 23570694. PMC NA
- Troy TD, Grandis JR, Youk AO, Diergaarde B, Romkes M, Weissfeld JL. Childhood passive smoke exposure is associated with adult head and neck cancer. Cancer Epidemiology. 2013 Apr 22. Pii: S1877-7821(13)00044-1. [Epub 04/12/13]. PMC3706460
- Lui VW, Hedberg ML, Li H, Vangara B, Pendleton K, Zeng Y, Lu Y, Zhang Q, Du Y, Gilbert B, Freilino M, Sauerwein S, Peyser N, Xiao D, Diergaarde B, Wang L, Chiosea S, Seethala RR, Johnson JT, Kim S, Duvvuri U, Ferris RL, Romkes M, Nukui T, Ng P, Garraway L, Hammerman P, Mills GB, Grandis JR. Frequent mutation of the PI3K pathway in head and neck cancer defines predictive biomarkers. Cancer Discovery. 2013 Jul;3(7):761-9. Epub 2013 Apr 26. PMC3710532.
- Peyser ND, Grandis JR. Critical analysis of the potential for targeting STAT3 in human malignancy. OncoTargets and Therapy. 2013 July:6 999-1010. PMC3735336.
- Sok J, Lee J, Dasari S, Joyce S, Contrucci S, Egloff AM, Trevelline B, Radhika J, Kumari N, Grandis JR, Thomas SM. A role for collagen type XI x1 in head and neck squamous cell cancer growth, migration and invasion. BJC. 2013 Dec 10;109(12):3049-56. PMC3859935.
- Chiosea SI, Grandis JR, Lui VW, Diergaarde B, Maxwell JH, Ferris RL, Kim SW, Luvison A, Miller M, Nikiforova MN. PIK3CA, HRAS and PTEN in human papillomavirus positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2013 Dec 17;13:602. PMC3878565.
- Johnston PA, Sen M, Hua Y, Camarco D, Shun TY, Lazo JS, and Grandis JR. High content pSTAT3/1 imaging assays to screen for selective inhibitors of STAT3 pathway activation in head and neck cancer cell lines. Assay Drug Dev Technol. 2014 Jan-Feb;12(1):55-79. Epub 2013 Oct 15. PMC3934522.
- Saba N, Hurwitz SJ, Kono S, Yang CS, Zhao Y, Chen Z, Sica GL, Muller S, Moreno-Williams R, Lewis M, Grist W, Chen AY, Moore CE, Owonikoko TK, Ramalingam SS, Beitler JJ, Nannapaneni S, Shin HJ, Grandis JR, Khuri FR, Chen ZG, Shin DM. Chemoprevention of Head and Neck Cancer with Celecoxib and Erlotinib: Results of a Phase 1b and Pharmacokinetic Study. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014 Mar;7(3):283-91. Epub 2013 Oct 3. PMCID: Pending
- D'Souza G, Carey TE, William WN, Nguyen ML, Ko EC, Riddell J, Pai SI, Gupta V, Walline HM, Lee JJ, Wolf GT, Shin DM, Grandis JR, Ferris RL. Epidemiology of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer Among HIV-Infected Patients. JAIDS. 2014 Apr 15;65(5):603-10. PMC3999230.
- Sen M, Paul K, Freilino ML, Li H, Li C, Johnson DE, Wang L, Eiseman J, Grandis JR. Systemic Administration of a Cyclic STAT3 Decoy Oligonucleotide Inhibits Tumor Growth Without Inducing Toxicological Effects. Mol Med. 2013 Dec 24. PMC3951464.
- Klein JD, Sano D, Sen M, Myers JN, Grandis JR, Kim SW. STAT3 decoy oligonucleotide inhibits tumor angiogenesis in preclinical models of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. PLOS ONE. 2014 Jan 3;9(1):e81819. PMC3880270.
- Yazbeck VY, Li C, Grandis JR, Yang Y, Johnson DE. Single-agent obatoclax (GX15-070) potently induces apoptosis and pro-survival autophagy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells oral oncology. Oral Oncology. 2014 Feb;50(2):120-7. PMC3944051.
- Du Y, Peyser ND, Grandis JR. Integration of molecular targeted therapy with radiation in head and neck cancer. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2014 Apr;142(1):88-98. PMID: 24280066. PMC in process
- Lei Y, Lui VW, Grandis JR, Egloff AM, Identification of mutations in the PYRIN-containing NLR genes (NLRP) in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2014. Jan 21;9(1):e85619. PMC3897487.
- Lui V, Peyser ND, Ng PK, Hritz J, Zeng Y, Lu Y, Hua L, Wang L, Gilbert BR, General IJ, Bahar I, Ju Z, Wang Z, Pendleton KP, Xiao X, Du Y, Vries JK, Hammerman PS, Garraway LA, Mills GB, Johnson DE, Grandis JR. Frequent mutation of receptor protein tyrosine phosphatases provides a mechanism for STAT3 hyperactivation in head and neck cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Jan 21; 111(3):1114-19. PMC3903220.
- Li H, Wawrose JS, Gooding WE, Garraway LA, Lui VWY, Peyser ND, Grandis JR. Genomic analysis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell lines and human tumors: a rational approach to preclinical model selection. Molec Cancer Res. 2014 Apr;12(4):571-82. PMC3989421.
- Panupinthu N, Yu S, Shang D, Zhang F, Gagea M, Lu Y, Grandis JR, Dunn Se, Lee HY, Mills GB. Self- reinforcing loop of amphiregulin and Y-box binding protein-1 contributes to poor outcomes in ovarian cancer. Oncogene. 2014 May 29;33(22):2846-56. Epub 2013 Jul 15. PMID:23851501. PMC: Pending
- Li C, Egloff AM, Sen M, Grandis JR, Johnson DE. Caspase-8 Mutations in Head and Neck Cancer Confer Resistance to Death Receptor-Mediated Apoptosis and Enhance Migration, Invasion, and Tumor Growth. Molecular Oncology. 2014 Apr 18 [epub] PMID:24816188, PMC: Pending
- Gross ND, Bauman JE, Gooding WE, Denq W, Thomas SM, Wang L, Chiosea S, Hood BL, Flint MS, Sun M, Conrads TP, Ferris RL, Johnson JT, Kim S, Argiris A, Wirth L, Nikiforova MN, Siegfried JM, Grandis JR. Erlotinib, erlotinib-sulindac vs. placebo: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled window trial in operable head and neck cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 2014 Apr 11. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID:24727329. [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Bauman JE, Grandis JR. Targeting secondary immune responses to cetuximab: CD137 and the outside story. J Clin Invest. 2014 Jun 2;124(6):2371-5. Epub 2014 May 16. PMID:24837438 PMC in process
- Nakajima EC, Laymon C, Oborski M, Hou W, Wang L, Grandis JR, Ferris RL, Mountz JM, Van Houten B. Quantifying Metabolic Heterogeneity in Head and Neck Tumors in Real Time: 2-DG Uptake is Highest in Hypoxic Tumor Regions. PLOS ONE accepted 06-05-14.
- Feng H, Lopez GL, Kim CK, Alvarez A, Duncan CG, Nishikawa R, Nagane M, Su A, Auron PE, Hedberg ML, Wang L, Raizer JJ, Kessler JA, Parsa AT, Gao W, Kim W, Minata M, Nakano I, Grandis JR, McLendon RE, Bigner DD, Lin H, Furnari FB, Cavenee WK, Hu B, Yan H & Cheng S.EGFR Phosphorylation of DCBLD2 Recruits TRAF6 and Stimulates Akt-promoted Tumorigenesis. J Clin Invest accepted
- Shiwarski DJ, Shao C, Bill A, Kim J, Dong, X, Bertrand CA, Seethala RS, Sano D, Myers JN, Ha P, Grandis JR, Gaither LA, Puthenveedu MA, Duvvuri U. To "Grow" or "Go": TMEM16A Expression as a Switch between Tumor Growth and Metastasis in SCCHN. Clin Cancer Res, accepted 06/09/14.
- Gross AM, Orosco RK, Shen JP, Egloff AM, Carter H, Hofree M, Choueiri M, Coffey CS, Lippman SM, Hayes DN, Cohen EE, Grandis JR, Nguyen QT, Ideker T. Multi-tiered genomic analysis of head and neck cancer ties TP53 mutation to 3p loss. Nat Genet. Accepted 06/26/14.