Mark T. Gladwin, MD
Dr. Gladwin is the Director of the Vascular Medicine Institute,
the Division Chief of Pulmonary, Allergy,
and Critical Care Medicine, and a member of the
of the Cellular and Molecular Pathology Graduate Training Program.
Professor of Medicine
UPMC Montefiore Hospital - NW628
3459 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-648-3181
Lab Telephone: 412-624-0465
- MD - University of Miami, 1991
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Gladwin's clinical research and expertise focuses on pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary complications of sickle cell disease. He was the PI on the multi-center clinical trials Walk-PHASST (Pulmonary Hypertension and Sickle Sildenafil Therapy Trial) and DeNOVO (Delivery of NO for Vaso-Occlusive pain crisis in sickle cell disease). He has served as a principal or associate investigator on more than 25 human subjects protocols and holds seven FDA INDs for the use of investigational therapeutic medications, including nitrite, carbon monoxide, L-NMMA, and sildenafil.
Research InterestsDr. Gladwin's research activities have led to four major discoveries:
- The discovery that the nitrite anion is a circulating storage pool for NO bioactivity (Gladwin, et al. PNAS 2000) that regulates hypoxic vasodilation (Cosby Nature Medicine 2003) and the cellular resilience to low oxygen and ischemia (Duranski JCI 2005).
- The discovery of a novel physiological function for hemoglobin as an electronically and allosterically-regulated nitrite reductase (Cosby, et al. Nature Medicine 2003; Huang et al. JCI 2005).
- The characterization of a novel mechanism of disease, hemolysis-associated endothelial dysfunction (Reiter, et al. Nature Medicine 2002; Morris et al. JAMA 2005; Minneci et al. JCI 2005; Rother et al. JAMA 2005).
- The mechanistic, clinical, and epidemiological description of a human disease syndrome, hemolysis-associated pulmonary hypertension (Gladwin, et al. NEJM 2004).
- American Board of Internal Medicine Certifying Examination, 1994
- Recertified Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine – valid through 2018
- Diplomat in Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Pulmonary Medicine 1998-2008
- Recertified in Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Pulmonary Medicine 2008-2018
- Diplomat in Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Critical Care Medicine 1999-2009
- Recertified in Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Pulmonary Medicine 2009-2019
- Medical Licenses:
- Pennsylvania # MD434600 - active
- Maryland #D0052428 - active
- Oregon #MD17824 (expired in good standing 12/31/97)
- Washington #ML20005389 (expired in good standing 7/31/97)
- District of Columbia #MD30661 (expired in good standing 12/31/05)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support, 1997
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, 1999 - Present
SpecialtiesPulmonary Hypertension and Sickle Cell Disease
Awards and Honors
- (Invited) Howard P. Lewis Visiting Professor of Medicine and Speaker, Oregon Health and Science University, November 2012
- (Invited) American Heart Association 3CPR Dickinson W Richards lecture, November, 2012
- (Invited) Robert F. Johnston, MD Memorial Lecturer at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, October, 2012
- Association of American Physicians (AAP) – 2009
- American Society of Clinical Investigations (ASCI)
- Member 2006 - present
- Elected to Council - 2010
- Presented at the Nobel Form, Karolinska Institutet as part of the series “Frontiers In Biomedical Research,” Stockholm, Sweden, 2007
- The NIH Merit Award in recognition for accomplishments in both basic and clinical sciences in the use of nitrite and NO in clinical applications, 2006
- The NIH Director's Award for Mentoring in making contributions to understanding the role of nitric oxide in sickle cell anemia patients, 2006
- Clinical Center Director's Award for 2002 (category of Science)
- Distinguished Mentor Award, awarded by the NIH Pre-IRTA committee for mentorship of Esther Vivas and Benjamin Yang, 2002
- Academic Medicine Mentor Award, awarded by the Fellowship Program in Academic Medicine for Minority Students (sponsored by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co) for the mentorship of Karin R. Minter, 2001
- American Thoracic Society Travel Award; awarded by the Respiratory Structure and Function Assembly; 97th International Conference, 2001
- American Heart Association Scientific Sessions Travel Award; awarded by the Vascular Biology Assembly, 2000
- American Thoracic Society Travel Award; Awarded by the Respiratory Structure and Function Assembly; 96th International Conference, 2000
- NIH Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE 2000), 2000
- Achievement Medal, US Public Health Service, NIH, 1999
- Oregon Health Sciences University House Staff Teaching Award (Awarded by House Staff), 1993, 1994, and 1995
- First Place Clinical Vignette Presentation, Regional American College of Physicians Conference, Eugene, Oregon, 1993
- American College of Physicians Winning and Finalist Abstract, Clinical Vignette Competition for Associates, 74th Annual Session, Washington, D.C., 1993
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1994
- Honors Program in Medical Education, University of Miami, Florida, 1991
- Henry K. Stanford Merit Scholarship, Florida Honors Merit Scholarship, Florida Academic Merit Scholarship, University of Miami, 1985-1986
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Gladwin's publications on PubMed
- George MP, Champion HC, Gladwin MT, Norris KA, Morris A. Injection Drug Use as a "Second Hit" in the Pathogenesis of HIV-associated Pulmonary Hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012 Jun 1;185(11):1144-6.
- Neye N, Enigk F, Shiva S, Habazettl H, Plesnila N, Kuppe H, Gladwin MT, Kuebler WM. Inhalation of NO during myocardial ischemia reduces infarct size and improves cardiac function. Intensive Care Med. 2012 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tejero J, Basu S, Helms C, Hogg N, King SB, Kim-Shapiro DB, Gladwin MT. Low NO Concentration Dependence of Reductive Nitrosylation Reaction of Hemoglobin. J Biol Chem. 2012 May 25;287(22):18262-74. Epub 2012 Apr 4.
- Tiso M, Tejero J, Kenney CT, Frizzell S, Gladwin MT. Nitrite reductase activity of non-symbiotic hemoglobins from arabidopsis thaliana. Biochemistry. 2012 May 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Milton JN, Sebastiani P, Solovieff N, Hartley SW, Bhatnagar P, Arking DE, Dworkis DA, Casella JF, Barron-Casella E, Bean CJ, Hooper WC, Debaun MR, Garrett ME, Soldano K, Telen MJ, Ashley-Koch A, Gladwin MT, Baldwin CT, Steinberg MH, Klings ES. A genome-wide association study of total bilirubin and cholelithiasis risk in sickle cell anemia. PLoS One. 2012;7(4):e34741. Epub 2012 Apr 27.
- Chandra D, Stamm JA, Palevsky PM, Leader JK, Fuhrman CR, Zhang Y, Bon J, Duncan SR, Branch RA, Weissfeld J, Gur D, Gladwin MT, Sciurba FC. The Relationship Between Pulmonary Emphysema and Kidney Function in Smokers. Chest. 2012 Mar 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mehari A, Gladwin MT, Tian X, Machado RF, Kato GJ. Mortality in adults with sickle cell disease and pulmonary hypertension. JAMA. 2012 Mar 28;307(12):1254-6.
- Chandra D, Stamm JA, Palevsky PM, Leader JK, Fuhrman CR, Zhang Y, Bon J, Duncan SR, Branch RA, Weissfeld J, Gur D, Gladwin MT, Sciurba FC. The Relationship Between Pulmonary Emphysema and Kidney Function in Smokers. Chest. 2012, epub ahead of print
- Novelli EM, Huynh C, Gladwin MT, Moore CG, Ragni MV. Pulmonary Embolism in Sickle Cell Disease: A Case-Control Study. J Thromb Haemost. 2012 Mar 15.
- Wang L, Frizzell SA, Zhao X, Gladwin MT. Normoxic cyclic GMP-independent oxidative signaling by nitrite enhances airway epithelial cell proliferation and wound healing. Nitric Oxide. 2012 Mar 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Novelli EM, Kato GJ, Ragni MV, Zhang Y, Hildesheim ME, Nouraie M, Barge S, Meyer MP, Hassett AC, Gordeuk VR, Gladwin MT, Isenberg JS. Plasma thrombospondin-1 is increased during acute sickle cell vaso-occlusive events and associated with acute chest syndrome, hydroxyurea therapy, and lower hemolytic rates. Am J Hematol. 2012 Mar; 87(3):326-30. [Epub 2012 Feb 8]
- Morris A, Gingo MR, George MP, Lucht L, Kessinger C, Singh V, Hillenbrand M, Busch M, McMahon D, Norris KA, Champion HC, Gladwin MT, Zhang Y, Steele C, Sciurba FC. Cardiopulmonary function in individuals with HIV infection in the antiretroviral therapy era. AIDS. 2012 Mar 27;26(6):731-40.
- Darbari DS, Onyekwere O, Nouraie M, Minniti CP, Luchtman-Jones L, Rana S, Sable C, Ensing G, Dham N, Campbell A, Arteta M, Gladwin MT, Castro O, Taylor JG 6th, Kato GJ, Gordeuk V. Markers of severe vaso-occulsive painful episode frequency in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. Journal of Pediatrics. 2012 Feb; 160(2): 286-90.
- Bushuev V, Remaley AT, Niu X, Castro OL, Gladwin MT, Kato GJ, Prchal JT, Gordeuk VR. Pulmonary artery pressure and iron deficiency in patients with upregulation of hypoxia sensing due to homozygous VHL(R200W) mutation (Chuvash polycythemia). Haematologica. 2012 Feb;97(2):193-200.
- Sable CA, Aliyu ZY, Dham N, Nouraie M, Sachdev V, Sidenko S, Miasnikova GY, Polyakova LA, Sergueeva AI, Okhotin DJ, Bushuev V, Remaley AT, Niu X, Castro OL, Gladwin MT, Kato GJ, Prchal JT, Gordeuk VR. Pulmonary artery pressure and iron deficiency in patients with upregulation of hypoxia sensing due to homozygous VHL(R200W) mutation (Chuvash polycythemia). Haematologica. 2012 Feb;97(2):193-200. Epub 2011
- Gladwin MT. Prevalence, risk factors and mortality of pulmonary hypertension defined by right heart catheterization in patients with sickle cell disease. Expert Rev Hematol. Dec 2011; 4(6):593-6.
- Castro OL, Gordeuk VR, Gladwin MT, Steinberg MH. Senicapoc trial results support the existence of different dub-phenotypes of sickle cell disease with possible drug-induced phenotypic shifts. Br J Haematol. 2011 Dec;155(5):636-8. [Epub 2011 Jul 7]
- Stamm JA, Belloli EA, Zhang Y, Bon J, Sciurba FC, Gladwin MT. Elevated N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide is associated with mortality in tobacco smokers independent of airflow obstruction. PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e27416.
- Jayaraman T, Tejero J, Chen BB, Blood AB, Frizzell S, Shapiro C, Tiso M, Hood BL, Wang X, Zhao X, Conrads TP, Mallampalli RK, Gladwin MT. 14-3-3 binding and phosphorylation of neuroglobin during hypoxia modulate six-to-five heme pocket coordination and rate of nitrite reduction to nitric oxide. J Biol Chem. 2011 ;286(49):42679-89.
- Al Ghouleh I, Khoo NK, Knaus UG, Griendling KK, Touyz RM, Thannickal VJ, Barchowsky A, Nauseef WM, Kelley EE, Bauer PM, Darley-Usmar V, Shiva S, Cifuentes-Pagano E, Freeman BA, Gladwin MT, Pagano PJ. Oxidases and peroxidases in cardiovascular and lung disease: New concepts in reactive oxygen species signaling. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011 Oct 1;51(7):1271-88. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sachdev V, Kato GJ, Gibbs JS, Barst RJ, Machado RF, Nouraie M, Hassell KL, Little JA, Schraufnagel DE, Krishnamurti L, Novelli EM, Gigris RE, Morris CR, Rosenzweig EB, Badesch DB, Lanzkron S, Castro OL, Taylor JG 6th, Hannoush H, Goldsmith JC, Gladwin MT, Gordeuk VR, Walk-PHASST Investigators. Echocardiographic markers of elevated pulmonary pressure and left ventricular diastolic dysfunction are associated with exercise intolerance in adults and adolescents with homozygous sickle cell anemia in the United States and United Kingdom. Circulation. 2011 Sep 27; 124 (13): 1452-60.
- Azarov I, Liu C, Reynolds H, Tsekouras Z, Lee J, Gladwin MT, Kim-Shapiro DB. Mechanisms of slower nitric oxide uptake by red blood cells and other hemoglobin-containing vesicles. Journal of Chemical Biology. 2011 Sep 23; 286(38):33567-79.
- Nouraie M, Cheng K, Niu X, Moore-King E, Fadojutimi-Akinsi MF, Minniti CP, Sable C, Rana S, Dham N, Campbell A, Ensing G, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Gordeuk VR. Predictors of osteoclast activity in patients with sickle cell disease. Haematologica. 2011 Aug; 96(8): 1092-8.
- Hanson MS, Piknova B, Keszler A, Diers AR, Wang X, Gladwin MT, Hillery CA, Hogg N. Methaemalbumin formation in sickle cell diease: effect on oxidative protein modification and HO-1induction. Br J Haematol. 2011 Aug;154(4):502-11. [Epub 2011 May 20.]
- Machado RF, Hildesheim M, Mendelsohn L, Remaley AT, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT. NT-pro brain natriuretic peptide levels and the risk of death in the cooperative study of sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2011 Aug; 154(4):512-20. [Epub 2011 Jun 21.]
- Donadee C, Raat NJ, Kanias T, Tejero J, Lee JS, Kelley EE, Zhao X, Liu C, Reynolds H, Azarov I, Frizzell S, Meyer EM, Donnenberg AD, Qu L, Triulzi D, Kim-Shapiro DB, Gladwin MT. Nitric oxide scavenging by red blood cell microparticles and cell-free hemoglobin as a mechanism for the red cell storage lesion. Circulation. 2011 Jul 26;124(4):465-76. [Epub 2011 Jul 11.]
- Solovieff N, Hartley SW, Baldwin CT, Klings ES, Gladwin MT, Taylor JG 6th, Kato GF, Farrer LA, Steinberg MH, Sebastiani P. Ancestry of African Americans with sickle cell disease. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2011 Jun 15;47(1):41-5. [Epub 2011 May 4.]
- Hopmann KH, Cardey B, Gladwin MT, Kim-Shapior DB, Ghosh A. Hemoglobinas a nitrite anhydrase: modeling methemoglobin-mediated N2O3 formation. Chemistry. 2011 May 27;17(23):6348-58. [Epub 2011 May 17.]
- Kim-Shapiro, DB, Lee J, Gladwin MT. Storage lesion: role of red blood cell breakdown. Transfusion. 2011 Apr 5;51(4):844-51.
- Machado RF, Barst RJ, Yovetich NA, Hassell KL, Kato GJ, Gordeuk VR, Gibbs JS, Little JA, Schraufnagel DE, Krishnamurti L, Girgis RE, Morris CR, Rosenzweig EB, Badesch DB, Lanzkron S, Onyekwere O, Castro OL, Sachdev V, Waclawiw MA, Woolson R, Goldsmith JC, Gladwin MT; on behalf of the walk-PHaSST Investigators and Patients. Hospitalization for pain in patients with sickle cell disease treated with sildenafil for elevated TRV and low exercise capacity. Blood. 2011 Jul 28;118(4):855-864. [Epub 2011 Apr 28.]
- Alef MJ, Vallabhaneni R, Carchman E, Morris SMJr, Shiva S, Wang Y, Kelley EE, Tarpey MM, Gladwin MT, Tzeng E, Zuckerbraun BS. Nitrite-generated NO circumvents dysregulated arginine/NOS signaling to protect against intimal hyperplasia in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Clin Invest. 2011 Apr;121(4):1646-56 [Epub ahead of print]
- Stamm JA, McVerry BJ, Mathier MA, Donahoe MP, Saul MI, Gladwin MT. Doppler-defined pulmonary hypertension in medical intensive care unit patients: Retrospective investigation of risk factors and impact on mortality. Pulm Circ. 2011; 1:95-102.
- Gladwin MT, Kato GJ, Weiner D, Onyekwere OC, Dampier C, Hsu L, Hagar RW, Howard T, Nuss R, Okam MM, Tremonti, CK, Berman B, Villella A, Krishnamurti L, Lanzkron S, Castro O, Gordeuk VR, Coles WA, Peters-Lawrence M, Nichols J, Hall MK, Hildesheim M, Blackwelder WC, Baldassarre J, Casella JF, NeNOVO Investigators. Nitric oxide for inhalation in the acute treatment of sickle cell pain crisis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011 Mar 2;305(9):893-902.
- Tiso M, Tejero J, Basu S, Azarov I, Wang X, Simplaceanu V, Frizzll S, Jayaraman T, Geary L, Shapiro C, Ho C, Shiva S, Kim-Shapiro DB, Gladwin MT. Human neuroglobin functions as a redox regulated nitrite reductase. J Biol Chem. 2011. May 20;286(20):18277-89
- Zuckerbraun BS, George P, Gladwin MT. Nitrite in pulmonary arterial hypertension: therapeutic avenues in the setting of dysregulated arginine/nitric oxide synthase signaling. Cariovasc Res. 2011 Feb 15;89(3):542-52. [Epub 2010 Dec 22.]
- George MP, Brower A, Kling, H, Shipley T, Kristoff J, Reinhart TA, Murphey-Corb M, Gladwin MT, Champion HC, Morris A, Norris KA. Pulmonary Vascular Lesions Are Common in SIV-and SHIV-env-Infected Macaques. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2011 Feb; 27(2):103-11. [Epub 2010 Oct 21.]
- Shiva S, Rassaf T, Patel RP, Gladwin MT. The detection of the nitrite reductase and NO-generating properties of haemoglobin by mitochondrial inhibition. Cardiovasc Res. 2011 Feb 15;89(3):566-73. [Epub 2010 Oct 14]
- Gordeuk V, Minniti CP, Nouraie M, Campbell AD, Rana S, Luchtman-Jones L, Sable C, Dham N, Ensing G, Prchal JT, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL. Elevated tricuspid regurgitation velocity and decline in exercise capacity over 22 months of follow-up in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. Haematologica. 2011 Jan;96(1):33-40. [Epub 2010 Sept 30.]
- Hon YY, Sun H, Dejam A, Gladwin MT. Characterization of erythrocytic uptake and release and disposition pathways of nitrite, nitrate, methemoglobin, and iron-nitrosyl hemoglobin in the human circulation. Drug Metab Dispos. 2010 Oct;38(10):1707-13. [Epub 2010 Jul 15.]
- Cuttica MJ, Langenickel T, Noguchi A, Machado RF, Gladwin MT, Boehm M. Perivascular T Cell Infiltration Leads to Sustained Pulmonary Artery Remodeling After Endothelial Cell Damage. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print.]
- Janka JJ, Koita OA, Traore B, Traore JM, Mzayek F, Sachdev V, Wang X, Sanogo K, Sangare L, Mendelsohn L, Masur H, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Krogstad DJ. Increased pulmonary pressures and myocardial wall stress in children with severe malaria. J Infect Dis. 2010 Sep 1;202(5):791-800.
- Cho CS, Kato GJ, Yang SH, Bae SW, Lee JS, Gladwin MT, Rhee SG. Hydroxyurea-induced expression of glutathione peroxidase 1 in red blood cells of individuals with sickle cell anemia. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Jul 1:13(1):1-11.
- Nouraie M, Reading NS, Campbell A, Minniti CP, Rana SR, Luchtman-Jones L, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Prchal JT, Gordeuk VR. Association of G6PD with lower haemoglobin concentration but not increased haemolysis in patients with sickle cell anaemia. Br J Haematol. 2010 Jul;150(2):218-25. [Epub 2010 May 9.]
- Aliyu ZY, Suleiman A, Attah E, Mamman AI, Babadoko A, Nouraie M, Mendelsohn L, Kato GJ, Gordeuk VR, Gladwin MT. NT-proBNP as a marker of cardiopulmonary status in sickle cell anaemia in Africa. Br J Haematol. 2010 Jul;150(1):102-7. [Epub 2010 Apr 16.]
- Hill, A Rother RP, Wang X, Morris SM Jr, Quinn-Senger K, Kelly R, Richards SJ, Bessler M, Bell L, Hillmen P, Gladwin MT. Effect of eculizumab on haemolysis-associated nitric oxide depletion, dyspnoea, and measures of pulmonary hypertension in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria. Br J Haematol. 2010 May;149(3):414-25. [Epub 2010 Mar 8.]
- Linguraru MG, Pura JA, Van Uitert RL, Mukherjee N, Summers RM, Minniti C, Gladwin MT, Kato G, Machado RF, Wood BJ. Segmentation and quantification of pulmonary artery for noninvasive CT assessment of sickle cell secondary to pulmonary hypertension. Med Phys. 2010 Apr;37(4):1522-32.
- Barst RJ, Mubarak KK, Machado RF, Ataga KI, Benza, RL, Castro O, Naeije R, Sood N, Swerdlow PS, Hildesheim M, Gladwin MT; ASSET study group*. Exercise capacity and haemodynamics in patients with sickle cell disease with pulmonary hypertension treated with bosentan: results of the ASSET studies. Br J Haematol. 2010 May;149(3):426-35. [Epub 2010 Feb 17.]
- Zuckerbraun BS, Shiva S, Ifedigbo E, Mathier MA, Mollen KP, Rao J, Bauer PM, Choi JJ, Curtis E, Choi AM, Gladwin MT. Nitrite potently inhibits hypoxic and inflammatory pulmonary arterial hypertension and smooth muscle proliferation via xanthine oxidoreductase-dependent nitric oxide generation. Circulation. 2010 Jan 5;121(1):98-109. [Epub 2009 Dec 21.]
- Presley TD, Perlegas AS, Bain LE, Ballas SK, Nichols JS, Sabio H, Gladwin MT, Kato GJ, Kim-Shapiro DB. Effects of a single sickling event on the mechanical fragility of sickle cell trait erythrocytes. Hemoglobin. 2010;34(1):24-36.
- Niu X, Nouraie M, Campbell A, Rana S, Minniti CP, Sable C, Darbari D, Dham N, Reading NS, Prchal JT, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Gordeuk VR. Angiogenic and inflammatory markers of cardiopulmonary changes in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. PLoS One. 2009 Nov 23;4(11):e7956.
- Isenberg, JS, Shiva S, Gladwin M. Thrombospondin-1-CD47 blockade and exogenous nitrite enhance ischemic tissue survival, blood flow and angiogenesis via coupled NO-cGMP pathway activation. Nitric Oxide. 2009 Aug;21(1):52-62. [Epub 2009 May 27.]
- Goetz BI, Shields HW, Basu S, Wang P, King SB, Hogg N, Gladwin MT, Kim-Shapiro DB. An electron paramagnetic resonance study of the affinity of nitrite for methemoglobin. Nitric Oxide. 2010 Feb 15;22(2):149-154. [Epub 2009 Nov 4.]
- Minniti CP, Machado RF, Coles WA, Sachdev V, Gladwin MT, Kato GJ. Endothelin receptor antagonists for pulmonary hypertension in adult patients with sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2009 Dec;147(5):737-43. [Epub 2009 Sep 22.]
- Gordeuk VR, Campbell A, Rana S, Nouraie M, Niu X, Minniti CP, Sable C, Darbari D, Dham N, Onyekwere O, Ammosova T, Nekhai S, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL. Relationship of erythropoietin, fetal hemoglobin, and hydroxyurea treatment to tricuspid regurgitation velocity in children with sickle cell disease. Blood. 2009 Nov 19;114(21):4639-44. [Epub 2009 Sep 1.]
- Campell A, Minniti CP, Nouraie M, Arteta M, Rana S, Onyekwere O, Sable C, Ensing G, Dham N, Luchtman-Jones L, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Gordeuk VR. Prospective evaluation of haemoglobin oxygen saturation at rest and after exercise in paediatric sickle cell disease patients. Br J Haematol. 2009 Nov;147(3):352-9. [Epub 2009 Aug 19.]
- Dezfulian C, Shiva S, Alekseyenko A, Pendyal A, Beiser DG, Munasinghe JP, Anderson SA, Chesley CF, Vanden Hoek TL, Gladwin MT. Nitrite therapy after cardiac arrest reduces reactive oxygen species generation, improves cardiac and neurological function, and enhances survival via reversible inhibition of mitochondrial complex I. Circulation. 2009 Sep 8;120(10):897-905. [Epub 2009 Aug 24.]
- Dham N, Ensing G, Minniti C, Campbell A, Arteta M, Rana S, Darbari D, Nouraie M, Onyekwere O, Lasota M, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro O, Gordeuk V, Sable C. Prospective echocardiography assessment of pulmonary hypertension and its potential etiologies in children with sickle cell disease. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Sep 1;104(5):713-20. [Epub 2009 Jun 24.]
- Raghavachari N, Xu X, Munson PJ, Gladwin MT. Characterization of whole blood gene expression profiles as a sequel to globin mRNA reduction in patients with sickle cell disease. PLoS One. 2009 Aug 3;4(8):e6484.
- Bivalacqua TJ, Musicki B, Hsu LL, Gladwin MT, Burnett AL, Champion HC. Establishment of a transgenic sickle-cell mouse model to study the pathophysiology of priapism. J Sex Med. 2009 Sep;6(9):2494-504. [Epub 2009 Jun 11.]
- Raat NJ, Noguchi AC, Liu VB, Raghavachari N, Liu D, Xu X, Shiva S, Munson PJ, Gladwin MT. Dietary nitrate and nitrite modulate blood and organ nitrite and the cellular ischemic stress response. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Sep 1;47(5):510-7. [Epub 2009 May 20.]
- Pellegrino D, Shiva S, Angelone T, Gladwin MT, Tota B. Nitrite exerts potent negative inotropy in the isolated heart via eNOS-independent nitric oxide generationand cGMP-PKG pathway activation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 Jul;1787(7):818-27. [Epub 2009 Feb 24.]
- Simonneau G, Robbins IM, Beghetti M, Channick RN, Delcroix M, Denton CP, Elliott CG, Gaine SP, Gladwin MT, Jing ZC, Krowka MG, Langleben D, Nakanishi N, Souza R. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Jun 30;54(1 Suppl):S43-54. Little JA, Hauser KP, Martyr SE, Harris A, Maric I, Morris CR, Suh JH, Taylor J, Castro O, Machado R, Kato G, Gladwin MT. Hematologic, biochemical, and cardiopulmonary effects of L-arginine supplementation or phosphodiesterase 5 inhibition in patients with sickle cell disease who are on hydroxyurea therapy. Eur J Haematol. 2009 Apr;82(4):315-21. [Epub 2008 Feb 10.]
- Minniti CP, Sable C, Campbell A, Rana S, Ensing G, Dham N, Onyekwere O, Nouraie M, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Gordeuk VR. Elevated tricuspid regurgitant jet velocity in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease: association with hemolysis and hemoglobin oxygen desaturation. Haematologica. 2009 Mar;94(3):347-7. [Epub 2009 Feb 11.]
- Blood AB, Tiso M, Verma ST, Lo J, Joshi MS, Azarov I, Longo LD, Gladwin MT, Kim-Shapiro DB, Power GG. Increased nitrite reductase activity of fetal versus adult ovine hemoglobin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009 Feb;296(2):H237-46. [Epub 2008 Nov 21.]