Chengquan Zhao, MD
Dr. Zhao is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology. He is Co-Director of Cytopathology and Director of Fine Needle Aspiration at Magee-Womens Hospital, and Chief of Pathology, UPMC-China Enterprise.
Professor of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-6678
- MD - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1983
- MS - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1988
- Postdoctoral - Hebrew University School of Medicine, 1993
- Postdoctoral - University of California, Los Angeles, 1997
- Cytopathology Fellow - University of Southern California, 2006
- Gynecologic/Breast Surgical Fellow - Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 2005
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Zhao has had subspecialty training in gynecological/breast surgical pathology at AFIP and Cytopathology at the University of Southern California. His main clinical diagnostic services are focused on gynecologic and breast surgical pathology, gynecologic cytology, non-gynecologic cytology, and fine needle aspiration cytology at Magee-Womens Hospital.
Research InterestsDr. Zhao has concentrated his research in the following areas of gynecologic and breast pathology.
- Pathogenesis study of ovarian carcinoma
- Nano-architecture based biomarkers for cervical cancer screening
- Novel nanoscale single-cell analysis of exfoliative cytology
- Pap smear study: human papillomavirus DNA detection in women with Pap test without TZ
- Follow-up study for women with hrHPV DNA positive ASC-US, ASC-H, HSIL, and atypical glandular cell Pap test result
- hrHPV DNA detection in women with negative Pap test result
- Pap results for women with histologic diagnosis of invasive or in situ cervical adenocarcinoma
- How accurate indication of malignancy for Pap smears diagnosed as malignant or suspicious for malignant
- ECFMG - January 1998
- American Board of Pathology, combined AP/CP - August 2005
- American Board of Pathology, Cytopathology - September 2006
SpecialitiesGynecological Pathology, Breast Pathology, and Cytopathology
Awards and Honors
- Young Scientific Leader Trained by the Education Committee of Shandong Provinces - 1990
- Outstanding Scientific Research Award, Qingdao Medical College - 1991
- Golda Meir Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, Hebrew University - 1992-1993
- United States Patent, Clavaspirins, #5998374 - December 1999
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6010876 - January 2000
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6040293 - March 2000
- The award of Huaxia Education, Huaxia Pathology - March 2011
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Zhao's publications on PubMed
- Austin RM, Olawaiye AB, Zhao C. Significance of Human Papillomavirus Test Performance in Samples From Women With Histopathologically Confirmed Invasive Cervical Cancer. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhao C, Crothers BA, Ghofrani, M, Li Z, Souers, RJ, Mojtaba Hussain, M, Fan F, Tolgay Ocal I, Goodrich K, Shen R, Davey DD. CAP Cytopathology Committee. Human Papillomavirus Genotyping Testing Practice in 2014: Results of a College of American Pathologists' National Survey. Arch Pathol Lab Med, Accepted April 2016.
- Pradhan D, Li Z, Ocque R, Patadji S, Zhao C (corresponding). Clinical Significance of Atypical Glandular Cells in Pap Tests: Analysis of Over 3000 Cases in a Large Academic Women Center. Cancer Cytopath. 2016 Apr 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhao C, Crothers BA, Ghofrani, M, Li Z, Souers, RJ, Mojtaba Hussain, M, Fan F, Tolgay Ocal I, Davey DD. CAP Cytopathology Committee. HSIL Misinterpretation Papanicolaou Test Rates in the College of American Pathologists Gynecologic PAP Education and PAP Proficiency Test Program. Arch Pathol Lab Med, Accepted January 2016.
- Zhao C, Crothers BA, Ghofrani, M, Li Z, Souers, RJ, Mojtaba Hussain, M, Fang Fan F, Tolgay Ocal I, Goodrich KM, Shen R, Davey DD. CAP Cytopathology Committee. Human Papillomavirus Genotyping Testing Practice in 2014: Results of a College of American Pathologists National Survey. Arch Pathol Lab Med, Accepted Feb 2016.
- Tao X, Austin R, Zhang H, Zhang L, Xiao J, Wang L, Zhou X, Zhao C (corresponding). Pap Test Reporting Rates for Conventional Smear and Liquid-Based Cervical Cytology from the Largest Academic Women's Hospital in China: Analysis of 1,248,785 Papanicolaou Test Reports. Acta Cytologica. 2015;59(6):445-51.
- Zhengyu Zeng, Huaitao Yang, Zaibo Li, Xuekui He, Christopher C. Griffith, Xiamen Chen, Xiaolei Guo, Baowen Zheng, Shangwei Wu, Chengquan Zhao (corresponding). Prevalence and genotype distribution of HPV Infection in China: analysis of 51,345 HPV genotyping results from China's largest CAP certified laboratory. J Cancer. 2016; 7(9): 1037-1043.
- Zeng Z, Austin RM, He X, Chen X, Guo X, Zheng B, Wu S, Yang H, Zhao C (corresponding). Prevalence of high risk human papilloma virus infection in China: Analysis of 671,163 human papillomavirus test results from China's largest CAP-certified laboratory. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016;145(5):622-5.
- Zheng B, Li Z, Liang X, Austin RM, Chen C, Yan S, Zhao C (corresponding). Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cytology Reporting Rates and Histopathological Follow-up Results: the Experience of China's Largest College of American Pathologists (CAP) Certified Clinical Laboratory. Acta Cytologica. 2015;59(5):399-404.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Wu T, Ding X, Parwani A, Chen H, McHugh J, Piccoli A, Xie Q, Lauro GR, Feng X, Seethala RR, Wu S. Yousem S, Liang Y, Pantanowitz L. International Telepathology Consultation: Three Years of Experience between the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) and KingMed Diagnostics in China. J Pathol Inform 2015;6:63 (27 November 2015).
- Tao X, Gu W, Zhou X, Zhao C. The diagnosis and the effort of molecular markers of ovarian tumors. Chin J Pathol. 2015:44(9):686-688.
- Li Z, and Zhao C. Clinicopathological and immunohistochemical characterization of dedifferentiated endometrial carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2015 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
Books and Chapters
- Pathological Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis of Breast Lesions. Chief Editors: Huayie Ding, Xiangsheng Zhang, Hong Bu, Chengquan Zhao. People's Medical Publishing House, China. 2014.
- Diagnostic Cytopathology-Fine Needle Aspiration. Chief Editors: Chengquan Zhao, Liron Pantanowitz, Min Yang. Beijing Science and Technology Press, China, 2014.
- Gynecological Cytopathology: Brief text book. Chief Editors: Min Yang, Yaohua Cao, Chengquan Zhao, Beijing Science and Technology Press, China.
- 2014 Clear Cell Tumours Chapter. 2014 WHO Classification of Tumours of the Female Genital Organs. Gilks CB, Bell D, Huntsman D, Longacre T, Oliva E, Soslow R, Tsuda H, Zannonl GF, Zhao C, Zhou. 2014.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and cervical lesions. Zhao C. Yang H, Means M, Khalbuss WE. Gynecological and Breast cytopathology board review and self-assessment. Chief Editors: Khalbuss WE, Means M. Springer New York, 2013
- Gynecological Pathology, Chapter 28: Sex Cord-Stroma Tumor of Ovary. Liu A, Zhao C, Wang J, Zheng W. People's Medical Publishing House, China, 2014.