Charles R. Rinaldo, Jr., PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Rinaldo is a member of the Division of Clinical Microbiology and the Director of the UPMC Clinical Virology Laboratory.
Room A912, A-Wing
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2582
Office Telephone: 412-647-3764
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Rinaldo's UPMC Clinical Virology Laboratory is responsible for diagnosing viral infections for UPMC hospitals and clinicians. It is involved in several studies on new diagnostic approaches in clinical virology, respiratory virus infections, and the epidemiology of influenza virus infection.
Dr. Rinaldo is interested in the area of HIV/AIDS, herpesvirus and influenza virus research. He is the principal investigator of a large study of the natural history of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in men who have sex with men in Pittsburgh, which is part of the national Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. His major research is on the role of dendritic cells (DC) and T cells in the immunopathogenesis of HIV infection. He has most recently shown that CD8+ T cells can prime antiviral T cells as part of an approach to developing immunotherapies for attacking the residual reservoir of HIV in persons on antiretroviral therapy (ART).
A second area of interest is infection of professional antigen presenting cells with HIV that is important in the transfer of virus to CD4+ T cells. Dr. Rinaldo’s recent work suggests that this pathway is defective in persons who are able to control HIV infection for many years without ART.
A third area of interest is on T cell responses to the etiologic agent of Kaposi's sarcoma (KS), termed Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus or human herpesvirus type 8 (HHV-8). Dr. Rinaldo's laboratory has shown that HHV-8 infects several subsets of B cells that produce factors which drive KS, and that T cell immunity is central to control of this HHV-8 infection and development of KS.
Dr. Rinaldo's clinical research laboratory is involved in several studies on new molecular diagnostic approaches in clinical virology and the effects of vaccines on influenza illness in the community.
Dr. Rinaldo also serves as Chair of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology in the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health.
NIH ResearchView Dr. Rinaldo's NIH RePORT on nih.gov
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Rinaldo's publications on PubMed
- Campbell DM, Rappocciolo G, Jenkins FJ, Rinaldo CR. Dendritic cells: key players in human herpesvirus 8 infection and pathogenesis. Front Microbiol. 2014 Aug 28;5:452.
- Knowlton, E., Rappocciolo, G., Lepone, L.M., Nadgir, S.V., Bullotta, A., Berendam, S.J., Li, J., Reinhart, T.A., Jenkins, F.J., and Rinaldo, C.R. Human herpesvirus 8 induces polyfunctional B lymphocytes that drive Kaposi's sarcoma. mBio 2014 Sep 2;5(5):e01277-14.
- Zaccard, C.R., Watkins, S.C., Ayyavoo, V., Rinaldo, C.R., and Mailliard, R.B. HIV's ticket to ride: Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-activated dendritic cells exploited for virus intercellular transfer. AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses 30:1023-1024, 2014.
- Seaberg, E.C., Witt, M.D., Jacobson, L.P., Detels, R., Rinaldo, C.R., Young S., Phair, J.P., and Thio, C.L. Differences in hepatitis C virus prevalence and clearance by mode of acquisition among men who have sex with men. J. Viral. Hepat. 21:696-705, 2014.
- Zimmerman, R.K., Rinaldo, C.R., Nowalk, M.P., Balasubramani, G.K., Thompson, M.G., Bullotta, A., Susick, M., Wisniewski, S. Detection of influenza virus infection using two PCR methods. Adv Virol. 2014:274679, 2014.
- Zaccard, C.R., Watkins, S.C., Fecek, R.J., Kalinski, P., Salter, R.D., Ayyavoo, V., Rinaldo, C.R., and Mailliard, R.B. CD40 ligand induces networks of tunneling nanotubes exclusively in dendritic cells activated by mediators of type-1 immunity. J Immunol. 194:1047-1056, 2015.
- Badejo, O.A,, Chang, C,C,, So-Armah, K.A., Tracy, R.P., Baker, J.V., Rimland, D., Butt, A.A., Gordon, A.J., Rinaldo, C.R. Jr, Kraemer, K., Samet, J.H., Tindle, H.A., Goetz, M.B., Rodriguez-Barradas, M.C., Bedimo, R., Gibert, C.L., Leaf, D.A., Kuller, L.H., Deeks, S.G., Justice, A.C., and Freiberg, M.S. CD8+ T-cells count in acute myocardial infarction in HIV disease in a predominantly male cohort. Biomed Res Int. 2015:246870, 2015.
- Zimmerman RK, Rinaldo CR, Nowalk MP, Balasubramani GK, Moehling KK, Bullotta A, Eng HF, Raviotta JM, Sax TM, Wisniewski S. Viral infections in outpatients with medically attended acute respiratory illness during the 2012-2013 influenza season. BMC Infect Dis. 15:87, 2015.
- Abraham AG, Darilay A, McKay H, Margolick JB, Estrella MM, Palella FJ Jr, Bolan R, Rinaldo CR, Jacobson LP. Kidney Dysfunction and Markers of Inflammation in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 11.
- Herbeck J, Ghorai S, Chen L, Rinaldo CR, Margolick JB, Detels R, Jacobson L, Wolinsky S, Mullins JI. p21(WAF1/CIP1) RNA expression in highly HIV-1 exposed, uninfected individuals. PLoS One. 6;10:e0119218, 2015.
- Macatangay, B.J. Rinaldo, C.R. Preserving HIV-specific T cell responses: does timing of antiretroviral therapy help? Curr. Opin. HIV AIDS 10:55-60, 2015.
- He T, Brocca-Cofano E, Gillespie DG, Xu C, Stock JL, Ma D, Policicchio BB, Raehtz KD, Rinaldo CR, Apetrei C, Jackson EK, Macatangay BJ, Pandrea I. Critical Role for the Adenosine Pathway in Controlling SIV-Related Immune Activation and Inflammation in Gut Mucosal Tissues. J Virol. 2015 Jul 15. pii: JVI.01196-15