Jianhua Luo, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Luo is a member of the Divisions of Experimental Pathology, Molecular and Cellular Pathology and Anatomic Molecular Pathology. He is the Director of the High Throughput Genome Center at the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, involving collaboration of faculties from multiple departments.
S-760 Scaife Hall
3550 Terrace Street
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Office Telephone: 412-648-8791
Research InterestsCurrently, Dr. Luo's research interests involve identifying new tumor suppressor genes and tumor markers in several human malignancies such as prostate cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, etc. Subsequently, we will direct our effort to evaluate the prognostic values of these genes and markers in making early diagnosis of prostate cancer and serving as drug targets for cancer prevention programs.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Luo's publications on PubMed
- Yan P. Yu, Silvia Liu, Zhiguang Huo, Amantha Martin, Joel B. Nelson, George C. Tseng and Jianhua Luo (2015). Genomic copy number variations in the genomes of leukocytes predict prostate cancer clinical outcomes. PLOS ONE, in press.
- Wang T, Guan W, Lin J, Boutaoui N, Canino G, Luo J, Celedón JC, Chen W (2015). A systematic study of normalization methods for Infinium 450K methylation data using whole-genome bisulfite sequencing data. Epigenetics 10(7):662-9.
- Ze-Hua Zuo, Yan P. Yu, Ying Ding, Silvia Liu, Amantha Martin, George Tseng and Jianhua Luo (2015). Oncogenic activity of miRNA 650 in prostate cancer is mediated by suppression of CSR1 expression. American Journal of Pathology 185(7):1991-9.
- Jianhua Luo, Silvia Liu, Ze-Hua Zuo, Rui Chen, George C. Tseng and Yan P. Yu (2015). Discovery and classification of fusion transcripts in prostate cancer and normal prostate tissue. American Journal of Pathology 185(7):1834-45.
- Zhang-Hui Chen, Yan P. Yu, George Michalopoulos, Joel Nelson and Jianhua Luo (2015). The DNA replication licensing factor miniature chromosome maintenance 7 is essential for RNA splicing of epidermal growth factor receptor, c-met and platelet derived growth factor receptor. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290(3):1404-11.
- Kelly Koral, Shirish Paranjpe, William Bowen, Wendy Mars, Jianhua Luo and George K. Michalopoulos (2015). Leukocyte Specific Protein-1: a novel regulator of hepatocellular proliferation and migration deleted in human HCC. Hepatology 61(2):537-47.
- Irina L. Tourkova, Michelle R. Witt, La Li,a Quitterie Larrouture, Li Liu, Jianhua Luo, Lisa J. Robinson, and Harry C. Blair (2014). Follicle Stimulating Hormone Receptor in Mesenchymal Stem Cells Integrates Effects of Glycoprotein Reproductive Hormones. Marrow-Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2015 Jan;1335(1):100-9.
- Yan P. Yu, Ying Ding, Zhanghui Chen, Silvia Liu, Amantha Michalopoulos, Rui Chen, Zulfiqar G. Gulzar, Bing Yang, Kathleen Cieply, Alyssa Luvison, Bao-Guo Ren, James D. Brooks, David Jarrard, Joel B. Nelson, George Michalopoulos, George C. Tseng and Jianhua Luo (2014). Novel fusion transcripts associate with progressive prostate cancer, American Journal of Pathology, 184, 2840-9.
- Yan P. Yu, Amantha Michalopoulos, Ding Ying, George Tseng and Jianhua Luo (2014). High Fidelity Copy Number Analysis of Formalin-Fixed and Paraffin-Embedded Tissues Using Affymetrix Cytoscan HD Chip. PLOS ONE 9(4):e92820.
- Lindsey M. Kelly, Guillermo Barila, Pengyuan Liu, Viktoria N Evdokimova, Sumita Trivedi, Federica Panebianco, Manoj Gadhi, Sally E. Carty Steven Hodak, Jianhua Luo, Sanja Dacic, Yan P Yu, Marina N Nikiforova, Robert L. Ferris, Daniel L. Altschuler and Yuri E Nikiforov (2014). Identification of the transforming STRN-ALK fusion as a potential therapeutic target in the aggressive forms of thyroid cancer. The Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of USA, 111(11):4233-8.
- Yan P. Yu, Ying Ding, Rui Chen, Serena G. Liao, Bao-Guo Ren, Amantha Michalopoulos, George Michalopoulos, Joel Nelson, George C. Tseng and Jianhua Luo (2013). Whole genome methylation sequencing reveals distinct impact of differential methylations on gene transcription in prostate cancer. American Journal of Pathology 183, 1960-1970.
- Sarah E. Gibson, Jianhua Luo, Malini Sathanoori, Jun Liao, Urvashi Surti, George K. Michalopoulos and Steven H. Swerdlow (2014). Whole Genome Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Array Analysis is Complementary to Classical Cytogenetic Analysis in the Evaluation of Lymphoid Proliferations. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 141, 247-255.
- Lang-Zhu Tan, Yang Song, Joel Nelson, Yan P. Yu and Jianhua Luo (2013). Integrin alpha 7 binds tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 3 to suppress growth of prostate cancer cells. American Journal of Pathology 183(3):831-40.
- Vishakha S. Bhave, Wendy Mars, Shashikiran Donthamsetty, Xiyue Zhang, Langzhu Tan, Jianhua Luo, William C. Bowen, and George K. Michalopoulos (2013). Regulation of liver growth by Glypican 3, CD81, Hedgehog, and Hhex. American Journal of Pathology 183(1):153-9.
- Jianhua Luo, Ying Ding, Rui Chen, George Michalopoulos, Joel Nelson, George Tseng, and Yan P. Yu (2013). Genome-wide methylation analysis of prostate tissues reveals global methylation patterns of prostate cancer. American Journal of Pathology, 182, 2028-2036.
- Su F, Correa BR, Luo J, Vencio RZ, Pascal LE, Wang Z (2013). Gene Expression Profiling Reveals Regulation of ERK Phosphorylation by Androgen-Induced Tumor Suppressor U19/EAF2 in the Mouse Prostate. Cancer Microenviron, 6(3):247-61.
- Yu-Chen Han, Zhong-Liang Zheng, Ze-Hua Zuo, Yan P. Yu, Rui Chen, George C. Tseng, Joel B. Nelson and Jianhua Luo (2013). Metallothionein 1h Tumor Suppressor Activity in Prostate Cancer Is Mediated By Euchromatin Methyltransferase 1. Journal of Pathology, 230, 184-93.