Miroslawa W. Jones, MD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Jones is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology.
Department of Pathology
Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-1909
- MD - Medical Academy of Łódź, Poland, 1978
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Jones is a surgical pathologist with an expertise in gynecological and breast pathology (over 30 years in practice). She received a comprehensive training in gynecological and breast pathology at University of Manchester, United Kingdom, under Professor Harold Fox; George Washington University, Washington DC, under Dr. S.G. Silverberg and Johns Hopkins University, under Dr. R. Kurman. Before coming to Pittsburgh in 1993, she worked as a staff pathologist at the Division of Gynecological and Breast Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C.
Research InterestsDr. Jones research interests include endometrial, endocervical and ovarian tumors and benign and malignant tumors of breast. Her projectsinclude multiple clinico-pathologic correlation studies, immunohistochemical studies and molecular studies.
In the area of cervical pathology she studied the relationship of adenocarcinoma to microglandular hyperplasia and the use of oral contraceptives, villoglandular adenocarcinoma and its relationship to HPV infection, small cell carcinoma, adenoid basal carcinoma and adenosarcoma. She also investigated the prognostic value of p53 and K-ras topographic genotyping in endometrial adenocarcinoma and the immunohistochemical and molecular characteristics of carcinosarcomas and uterine smooth muscle tumors. Her ovarian projects included the study of genomic imbalances in borderline serous and mucinous tumors and comparative genomic hybridization study of primary and recurrent serous tumors.
In the area of breast pathology she studied syringomatous adenoma of the nipple, hamartomas andsmooth muscle and nerve sheath tumors of the breast, primary fibrosarcomas, nipple duct adenoma and its relationship to carcinoma and cystosarcoma phyllodes.
- 1989 - Board Certified in Anatomic Pathology
- 1989 - Licensed in the District of Columbia
- 1989 - Licensed in State of Maryland
- 1993 - Licensed in the State of Pennsylvania
Awards and Honors
- 1982 - British Council Scholarship for Training in Gynecological Pathology
- 1998 - Hospitals of the University Health Center of Pittsburgh Annual Teaching Excellence Award in Anatomic Pathology
- 1999 - Magee-Women's Health Foundation Grant, "Molecular characterization of cystosarcoma phyllodes"
- 2002 - International Scientist of the Year, International Biographical Center, Cambridge, England
- 2005 - Listed in 2004-5 Edition of "Guide to America's Top Physicians"
- 2006 - Listed in 2006 Edition of "Guide to America's Top Physicians"
- 2009 - Listed in 2009 Edition of "Guide to America's Top Pathologists"
- 2010 - Nominee, Annual Teaching Excellence Award in Anatomic Pathology
- 2011 - Nominee, Annual Teaching Excellence Award in Anatomic Pathology
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Jones' publications on PubMed
- Jones MW, Harri R, Dabbs DJ, Carter GJ. Immunohistochemical profile of steroid cell tumor of the ovary. A study of 14 cases and a review of the literature. Int J. Gyn. Pathol. 29: 315-320, 2010.
- Bohn OL, Zhao C, Jones MW. Unusual ovarian stromal tumor with radiation changes mimicking carcinoma. J Cancer 2:228-231, 2011.
- McGuire M, Yatsenko A, Hoffner L, Jones MW, Surti U, Rajkovic A. Whole exome sequencing in a random sample of North American Women with leiomyomas identifies MED12 mutations in the majority of uterine leiomyomas. PLoS (Journal of Public Library of Science). In press.
- Jones MW, Elishaev E, Dabbs DJ, Onisko A, Chiosea S, Bhargava R. Immunohistochemistry and HPV in situ hybridization in distinction between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinoma. A comparative tissue microarray study of 76 tumors. Int J Gyn Cancer . In press.