Simion I. Chiosea, MD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Chiosea is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
Anatomic Pathology Department
200 Lothrop Street, Room A616
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-7065
Request Second Opinion/Consultation Form
Pathology material (glass slides and/or tissue blocks) should be sent to:
Attn: Robyn Roche
Administrative Assistant, Department of Anatomic Pathology
Presbyterian Campus - Suite A-616
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2582 Telephone: 412-647-7065
- MD - 2000, State University of Medicine and Pharmacy, N. Testemiţanu, Chișinău, Moldova
Clinical ExpertiseHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- Human papillomavirus in head and neck carcinomas
- New therapeutic targets in head neck carcinomas
- Re-evaluation of conventional prognostic factors (margins, extranodal extension)
SpecialtiesHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- American Head and Neck Society, Paper Award Winners, Best Resident Clinical Paper for the 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Jessica H. Maxwell, MD, MPH: "Extracapsular Spread is Not Associated with Worse Survival in p16-Positive Oropharyngeal Cancer Patients"
- USCAP, 2012, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Leon Barnes, Award for best poster by a pathologist in training entitled "Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma" (C. Griffith)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, March 2015, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Dr. Leon Barnes Award for Best Poster entitled "The predominance of apocrine morphology and androgen receptor positivity in 204 cases of salivary duct carcinoma" (mentored head and neck pathology fellow, Dr. L. Williams).
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, March 2015, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Dr. Leon Barnes Award for Best Poster entitled "Perineural invasion as a risk factor for local recurrence in early squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue" (mentored pathology resident, Dr. A. Busca, University of Ottawa).
- Poster of Distinction, Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting/ American Head and Neck Society, April 2015, Boston, for "Early oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma: Sampling of margins from tumor bed correlates with worse local control" (mentored head and neck surgery fellow, Dr. J. Maxwell).
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Chiosea's recent publications on PubMed
- Armstrong MJ, Chiosea SI, Carty SE, Hodak SP, Yip L. Thyroid paragangliomas are locally aggressive. Thyroid : official journal of the American Thyroid Association. Jan 2012;22(1):88-93.
- Chenevert J, Chiosea S. Incidence of human papillomavirus in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: now and 50 years ago. Human pathology. Jan 2012;43(1):17-22.
- Chenevert J, Duvvuri U, Chiosea S, et al. DOG1: a novel marker of salivary acinar and intercalated duct differentiation. Modern pathology : an official journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc. Jul 2012;25(7):919-929.
- Chenevert J, Seethala RR, Barnes EL, Chiosea SI. Squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to neck from an unknown primary: the potential impact of modern pathologic evaluation on perceived incidence of human papillomavirus-positive oropharyngeal carcinoma prior to 1970. The Laryngoscope. Apr 2012;122(4):793-796.
- Chiosea S, Lee RE. First needle marrow biopsy to diagnose a systemic illness. Blood. Dec 13 2012;120(25):4910.
- Chiosea SI, Dacic S, Nikiforova MN, Seethala RR. Prospective testing of mucoepidermoid carcinoma for the MAML2 translocation: clinical implications. The Laryngoscope. Aug 2012;122(8):1690-1694.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Assaad A, Seethala RR. Clinicopathological characterization of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands. Histopathology. Sep 2012;61(3):387-394.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Assaad A, Seethala RR. The profile of acinic cell carcinoma after recognition of mammary analog secretory carcinoma. The American journal of surgical pathology. Mar 2012;36(3):343-350.
- Hartman DJ, Davison JM, Foxwell TJ, Nikiforova MN, Chiosea SI. Mutant allele-specific imbalance modulates prognostic impact of KRAS mutations in colorectal adenocarcinoma and is associated with worse overall survival. International journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer. Oct 15 2012;131(8):1810-1817.
- Lei Y, Chiosea SI. Re-evaluating historic cohort of salivary acinic cell carcinoma with new diagnostic tools. Head and neck pathology. Jun 2012;6(2):166-170.
- Sen M, Thomas SM, Kim S, et al. First-in-human trial of a STAT3 decoy oligonucleotide in head and neck tumors: implications for cancer therapy. Cancer discovery. Aug 2012;2(8):694-705.
- Wheeler SE, Morariu EM, Bednash JS, et al. Lyn kinase mediates cell motility and tumor growth in EGFRvIII-expressing head and neck cancer. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. May 15 2012;18(10):2850-2860.
- Dogan S, Hedberg ML, Ferris RL, Rath TJ, Assaad AM, Chiosea SI. Human papillomavirus and Epstein-Barr virus in nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a low-incidence population. Head & neck. Jun 18 2013.
- Griffith CC, Seethala RR, Luvison A, Miller M, Chiosea SI. PIK3CA Mutations and PTEN Loss in Salivary Duct Carcinomas. The American journal of surgical pathology. Aug 2013;37(8):1201-1207.
- Griffith CC, Stelow EB, Saqi A, et al. The cytological features of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: a series of 6 molecularly confirmed cases. Cancer cytopathology. May 2013;121(5):234-241.
- Ho AS, Kannan K, Roy DM, et al. The mutational landscape of adenoid cystic carcinoma. Nature genetics. Jul 2013;45(7):791-798.
- Hobson CE, Chiosea S, Mohan N, McCall AA. Pathology quiz case 3: Wegener granulomatosis. JAMA otolaryngology-- head & neck surgery. May 2013;139(5):533-535.
- Jones MW, Onisko A, Dabbs DJ, Elishaev E, Chiosea S, Bhargava R. Immunohistochemistry and HPV in situ hybridization in pathologic distinction between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinoma: a comparative tissue microarray study of 76 tumors. International journal of gynecological cancer : official journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society. Feb 2013;23(2):380-384.
- Krasinskas AM, Moser AJ, Saka B, Adsay NV, Chiosea SI. KRAS mutant allele-specific imbalance is associated with worse prognosis in pancreatic cancer and progression to undifferentiated carcinoma of the pancreas. Modern pathology : an official journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc. Apr 19 2013.
- Lui VW, Hedberg ML, Li H, et al. Frequent Mutation of the PI3K Pathway in Head and Neck Cancer Defines Predictive Biomarkers. Cancer discovery. Jul 2013;3(7):761-769.
- Maxwell JH, Ferris RL, Gooding W, et al. Extracapsular spread in head and neck carcinoma: Impact of site and human papillomavirus status. Cancer. Jun 24 2013.
- Thomas SM, Sahu B, Rapireddy S, et al. Antitumor effects of EGFR antisense guanidine-based peptide nucleic acids in cancer models. ACS chemical biology. Feb 15 2013;8(2):345-352.
- Villaruz LC, Socinski MA, Cunningham DE, et al. The prognostic and predictive value of KRAS oncogene substitutions in lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer. Jun 15 2013;119(12):2268-2274.
- Williams L, Chiosea SI. Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma Mimicking Salivary Adenoma. Head and neck pathology. Apr 26 2013.