Rohit Bhargava, MD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Bhargava received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree from the SMS Medical College of Rajasthan University (Jaipur, India). Upon arrival in the United States in 1998, he underwent residency training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at Baystate Medical Center (Western Campus of Tufts University) in Springfield, Massachusetts followed by fellowship training in Oncologic Surgical Pathology and Diagnostic Molecular Pathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY. He has been a faculty member at Magee-Womens Hospital of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) since September 2004. Dr. Bhargava is a Professor of Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Director of Anatomic Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC. He is also the Medical Director of the Histotechnology School at UPMC. Dr. Bhargava is an experienced breast pathologist and the sole author of the book titled "Simplified and Illustrated Breast Pathology: A Book for All Breast Care Providers".
Department of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-4641
- Breast Pathology
- Gynecologic Pathology
- Immunohistochemistry and ancillary testing in breast and gynecologic tumors and other tumors in general
Research InterestsDr. Bhargava's research interests include identifying novel diagnostic and prognostic markers for invasive and in situ breast cancer, study of predictive biomarkers in breast carcinoma and their correlation to clinical outcome. He also has an interest in identifying site of origin for "carcinoma of unknown primary" using immunohistochemistry and other ancillary techniques.
CertificationsAnatomic and Clinical Pathology from American Board of Pathology
SpecialtiesBreast and Gynecologic Pathology
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Teaching in Anatomic Pathology (Resident Teaching Award)- University of Pittsburgh, 2012
- F. Stephen Vogel Award from the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2006
- Outstanding Resident of the Year-Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA, 2002
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Bhargava's publications on PubMed
- Nika C Gloyeske, Anna H Woodard, Esther Elishaev, Jing Yu, Beth Z Clark, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Immunohistochemical profile of breast cancer with respect to Estrogen Receptor and HER2 status. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2015;23:202-208. PMID: 25356941.
- Zaibo Li, David J Dabbs, Kristine L Cooper, and Rohit Bhargava. Dual HER2 gene protein assay: Focused study of breast cancers with 2+ immunohistochemical expression. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015;143:451-458. PMID: 25696805.
- Haihui Lu, Karl Clauser, Wai Leong Tam, Julia Frose, Xin Ye, Elinor Eaton, Ferenc Reinhardt, Vera Donnenberg, Rohit Bhargava, Steven Carr, and Robert Weinberg. A Breast Cancer Stem Cell Niche Supported by Juxtacrine Signaling from Monocytes and Macrophages. Nature Cell Biology. 2014;16:1105-1117. PMID: 25266422.
- Ding Z., Joy M.., Bhargava R., Gunsaulus M., Lakshman N., Miron-Mendoza M., Petroll M., Condeelis J., Wells A., Roy P. Profilin-1 downregulation has contrasting effects on early vs late steps of breast cancer metastasis. Oncogene. 2014;33:2065-2074. PMID: 23686314.
- Rohit Bhargava, and David J Dabbs. Interpretation Of HER2 In-Situ Hybridization Assays Using ASCO/CAP HER2 Guidelines 2013 Update. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32:1855. PMID: 24778404.
- Bhargava R. Clinical utility of immunohistochemistry and other ancillary techniques in assessment of uterine tumors. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2014;31:193-194. PMID: 24933036.
- Beth Z Clark, Surabhi Beriwal, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Semiquantitative GATA-3 Immunoreactivity in Breast, Bladder, Gynecologic Tract, and other Cytokeratin 7 Positive Carcinomas. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;142:64-71. PMID: 24926087.
- Nika C Gloyeske, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Low ER+ Breast Cancer: Is This a Distinct Group? Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;141:697-701. PMID: 24713741.
- Faye F Gao, M.D., PhD., David J. Dabbs, M.D., Kristine L Cooper, M.S. and Rohit Bhargava, M.D. Bright-field HER2 dual in situ hybridization (DISH) assay versus fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): Focused study of immunohistochemical 2+ cases. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;141:102-110. PMID: 24343743.
- Ashlee L. Smith, Mai Sun, Rohit Bhargava, Nicolas A. Stewart, Melanie S. Flint, William L. Bigbee, Thomas C. Krivak, Mary A. Strange, Kristine L. Cooper, Kristin K. Zorn. Proteomic analysis of matched formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded specimens in patients with advanced serous ovarian carcinoma. Proteomes. 2013;1(3):240-253. Open access: http://www.mdpi.com/2227-7382/1/3/240
- Xin Li, Amal Kanbour-Shakir, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Morphologic features do not influence response to trastuzumab containing neoadjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013;21:420-425. PMID: 23165332.
- Hahm ER, Lee J, Kim SH, Sehrawat A, Arlotti JA, Shiva SS, Bhargava R, Singh SV. Metabolic Alteration in Mammary Cancer Prevention by Withaferin A in a Clinically Relevant Mouse Model. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013;105:1111-1122. PMID: 23821767.
- Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Cancer of unknown primary origin: Using ancillary techniques with caution. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(11):1478-9. PMID: 23439751.
- Faye F Gao, MD, PhD, Rohit Bhargava, MD, Haitao Yang, MD, PhD, Zaibo Li, MD, PhD and Chengquan Zhao, MD. A Clinicopathological Study of Serous Tubal Intraepithelial Carcinoma with Invasive Carcinoma: Is Serous Tubal Intraepithelial Carcinoma a Reliable Feature to Determine Organ of Origin? Hum Pathol. 2013;44(8):1534-43. PMID: 23465279.
- Beth Z Clark, Kristi Cooper, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Impact of Progesterone Receptor Semiquantitative Immunohistochemical Result on Oncotype DX® Recurrence Score: A Quality Assurance Study of 1074 Cases. Accepted to be published in Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013;21:287-291. PMID: 23060300.
- Molly E Klein, David J Dabbs, Yongli Shuai, Adam M Brufsky, Rachel Jankowitz, Shannon L Puhalla, Rohit Bhargava. Prediction of the Oncotype DX® Recurrence Score: Use of Pathology Generated Equations Derived by Linear Regression Analysis. Mod Pathol. 2013;26:658-664. PMID: 23503643.
- Jing Yu MD PhD, Sara E. Monaco MD, Rohit Bhargava MD, David J. Dabbs MD, Kathleen M. Cieply BS, Jeff L. Fine MD. A Validation Study of Quantum Dot Multispectral Imaging to Evaluate Hormone Receptor Status in Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS) of the Breast. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:394-401. PMID: 23039940.
- Beth Z Clark, and Rohit Bhargava. Bright Field Microscopy for HER2 Gene Assessment-Not Just DISH-ful Thinking? Am J Clin Pathol. 2013;139:137-139. PMID: 23355196.
- Mirka Jones, Agnieszka Onisko, David J Dabbs, Esther Elishaev, Simion I Chiosea, Rohit Bhargava. Immunohistochemistry and HPV in situ hybridization in distinction between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinoma: A comparative tissue microarray study of 76 tumors. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013;23:380-384. PMID: 23318908.
- Rohit Bhargava, M.D., Adam M. Brufsky, M.D., PhD., Nancy E. Davidson, M.D. Prognostic/Predictive Immunohistochemistry Assays for Estrogen Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer: Back to the Future? J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:4451-4453. PMID: 23045595.
- Cohen DA, Dabbs DJ, Cooper KL, Amin M, Jones TE, Jones MW, Chivukula M, Trucco GA, Bhargava R. Inter-observer Agreement among Pathologists for Semi-Quantitative Hormone Receptor Scoring in Breast Carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;138:796-802. PMID: 23161712.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network (Rohit Bhargava, one of 357 collaborators). Comprehensive molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature. 2012;490:61-70. PMID: 23000897.
- Nidhi Agarwal, Rohit Bhargava, Esther Elishaev. Diagnostic Use of Ki-67 Proliferation Marker As An Adjunct To Morphologic Diagnosis. Int J of Gyn Pathol. 2012;31:447-452. PMID: 22833085.
- Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Reply to M Christgen et al. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:3314-3315. WebID: http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/30/26/3314.full
- Rajan K. Bista, Pin Wang, Rohit Bhargava, Shikhar Uttam, Douglas J. Hartman, Randall E. Brand, and Yang Liu. Nuclear nano-morphology markers of histologically normal cells detect the "field effect" of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2012;135:115-124. PMID: 22706633.
- Isil Z Yildiz-Aktas, David J Dabbs, and Rohit Bhargava. The Effect of Cold Ischemic Time on the Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Estrogen Receptor, Progesterone Receptor, and HER2 Expression in Invasive Breast Carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2012;25:1098-1105. PMID: 22460807.
- James A Kraus, David J Dabbs, Sushil Beriwal, and Rohit Bhargava. Semi-quantitative Immunohistochemical Assay versus Oncotype DX® qRT-PCR Assay for Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors: An Independent Quality Assurance Study. Mod Pathol. 2012;25:869-876. PMID: 22301704.
- James A. Kraus, Sushil Beriwal, David J. Dabbs, Gretchen M Ahrendt Kandace P McGuire, Ronald R Johnson, Preeti Badve, Shannon L Puhalla, and Rohit Bhargava. Predictors of Pathologic Complete Response after Standard Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Triple-negative Breast Carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2012;20:334-339. PMID: 22417856.
- Isil Z Yildiz-Aktas, David J Dabbs, Kristine L Cooper, Mamatha Chivukula, Kim McManus, and Rohit Bhargava. The Effect of 96-Hour Formalin Fixation on the Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Estrogen Receptor, Progesterone Receptor, and HER2 Expression in Invasive Breast Carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;137:691-698. PMID: 22523206.
- Rohit Bhargava, Raymond R. Tubbs, Syed K Mohsin, David J Dabbs. Reply to A.M. Gown et al and F.L. Baehner et al. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:1728-1729. PMID: 22493420.
- Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Oncotype DX® test on unequivocally HER2 positive cases: Potential for harm. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:570-571. PMID: 22231308
Simplified and Illustrated Breast Pathology: A Book for All Breast Care Providers. Sole author: Rohit Bhargava. Published by Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. May 2015.
- Approach to histopathologic diagnosis. Rohit Bhargava and Wendie Berg. Diagnostic Imaging Breast. 2nd edition (Wendie A. Berg and Wei Tse Yang editors), Published by Amirsys. November 2013.
- Immunohistology of the Breast. Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 4th edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. December 2013.
- immunohistology of Metastatic Carcinomas of Unknown Primary. Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 4th edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. December 2013.
- Apocrine Carcinoma. Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Molecular classification of breast carcinomas. Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Immunohistology of the Breast. Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Pathology of neoadjuvant therapeutic response of breast carcinoma. Sunati Sahoo, David J Dabbs, and Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Predictive and prognostic marker testing in breast pathology: immunophenotypic subclasses of disease. D Craig Allred, Rohit Bhargava, and David J Dabbs. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Immunohistology of the Breast. Rohit Bhargava, Nicole N Esposito, David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 3rd edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA.
- Immunohistology of Metastatic Carcinomas of Unknown Primary. Rohit Bhargava, and David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 3rd edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA.
- Pathologic Evaluation of Metastases: Immunohistology. Rohit Bhargava (first author), Mark R Wick, David J Dabbs. Metastatic Carcinomas of Unknown Origin (Wick MR, Ed), Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2008.